1P7beta5: strange behaviour of 1P-mini in menubar

Thomas_U
Thomas_U
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When 1P is open but locked, a click on the icon just turns it blue - no panel.

When 1P is open and unlocked, a click on the icon sometimes shows the panel, sometimes not. But each time it makes the 1P window disappear and it can only be shown again via the window-menu.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-5 (70000005) AgileBit
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: AgileBits

Comments

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

I also just noticed that hiding 1P by command-H or menu does not work.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

"When 1P is open but locked, a click on the icon just turns it blue - no panel."

I see this as well, and sometimes it gets stuck in blue, and nothing works

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Thomas_U and @Gilles9 - sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything at all like that in my own installation, using 10.13.4 and 7.0BETA-5. I'm able to hide 1Password using either ⌘H or the menu item. Also, when locked, 1Password should always display the Master Password entry field; there shouldn't be a time when that's NOT the case. Can you both please try restarting your Macs, and see if you can reproduce this problem consistently? Let us know what you discover! :)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

unfortunately it is not consistent, it just happened a minute ago
    after a recent restart
    cannot see (yet) what sequence creates this
    ( my issue is, the Finder's Menu bar 1P icon gets stuck blue and somehow frozen, stuck blue and inactive; I have to use the icon in Safari to launch the 1P application to fix this...the only consistent thing is it only happens when Safari is running ( of course... you could say )...maybe it interferes with Safari's passwords, which sometimes pops up the password suggestion

Anyways, if I find the pattern to recreate this consistenly I'll advise here

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9 - thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this. :)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

I am on this very page
    If I click on the 1P icon ( Finder's menu bar ) about 4 times ( waiting a second in between clicks, and maybe clicking in Safari's windows, it finally freezes blue, can't say for sure but it seems it is when clicking on the side ( circle) of the icon
    I coud repruce a few times before I started typing this answer, so it was this page in view only

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9 - Is your copy of 1Password 7 unlocked when you're doing this? Because when I do that same thing, I get the expected mini window. Even if 1Password were locked, you should still see the unlock screen. You're not seeing either one of those things during those first four clicks?

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

In the last hour I did several restarts and tried out different settings. Before the last restart I cleaned out all caches (using Cocktail.app) and quit almost all other applications and menu-items.

Result: There is no pattern. No matter if Safari is open or not, no matter if 1P7beta5 is unlocked or not, sometimes the 1P-mini menu-icon just turns and stays blue, sometimes the panel appears.

Is there any log file I could send you to find out what happens?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-5 (70000005) AgileBit
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.13.4
    Sync Type: AgileBits

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@Lars
    yes unlocked, through the clicks all behave normally, locked or not, until it freezes on blue
    that is all I can see
    no definitive patterns ( of course normallly one does not click on the icon for nothing ) but it happens randomly

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas_U - if you get the crash reporting window, send it in -- and use the same email address you used to register for this forum. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#QYX-82934-262]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Thomas_U only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: QYX-82934-262

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

@Lars: Can do but I don´t yet understand where to send the report. support@agilebits.com ?

edit: OK, found the info, report has been sent. Before creating the report I checked that 1P was unlocked and the icon was blue and not responding.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas_U - thanks! Someone will be with you shortly; let's keep the conversation going over there. :)

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

update: problem persists in beta 7. @Lars: So far nobody contacted me...

sidenote: 1P updater crashes when clicking "Check for Updates...", it also crashed after finishing update beta 7.

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

correction: not beta 7 but beta 6!

Another observation:

1P is open but locked and in the background. I click on the menubar icon and it just turns blue, I leave the mouse-pointer there, I switch to 1P.app by command-Tab: Now the 1Pmini-unlock-window suddenly shows but not the app-window.

This could be a hint that all this is connected to window-handling/-management.

Also: Command-H and "Hide 1Password" from the menu still does not work in beta 6.

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

I just read in an - unrelated - blogpost that Apple made some substantial changes to the window-server in the macOS 10.13.4 update. Maybe that´s the cause of our problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas_U - looks like my colleague littlebobbytables has replied to your email; let's keep the conversation going over there, as this is likely to get specific to your individual setup and thus details probably shouldn't be on this public forum. Thanks! :)

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

I am happy to report that my issues seem to be resolved in 1P7 beta 10, at least they have not shown since May 1st.

kind regards

Thomas_U

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member

I still get this problem, in that I click on 1P-mini and it turns Blue but nothing happens, no access to logins etc.
    This only seems to happen when in Safari. After a while the mini responds and lets me use my logins again.
    I'm on Version 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)
    I've just some more tests and it seems that it takes at least 3 seconds before the mini menu shows my vault data

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas_U: Thanks for letting us know! I'm glad the latest beta has helped you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mike of Oxford: I'm sorry you're still having some trouble though. We're working on some things that will help, hopefully not too far away in a future beta update. Thanks for hanging in there, and for participating in the beta! :)

This discussion has been closed.