Working with new features

TomWolsky
TomWolsky
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Trying the trial version of 1P7. I'm interesting in the multi factor verification and the browser function. Any quick tutorials somewhere on how these work? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7b5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hey @TomWolsky! There most certainly is. We wrote a full guide to using two-factor authentication, though it does require a 1Password account. Your post shows that you're syncing with iCloud, so you'd need to migrate your data to a 1Password account to start using two-factor authentication:

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

If you have some questions, feel free to let us know.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

This is really confusing.

"Find your Secret Key in your 1Password account
    You can find your Secret Key and Setup Code in your 1Password account on the web. Use a browser you’ve used to sign in to your account before, like the browser on the computer you used to create your account.
    Sign in to your 1Password account.
    Click your account name in the top right and choose Get the Apps to see your Setup Code."

What's a 1P account? Does a trial membership work? To sign into a 1P account you need a secret key. How do you find the secret key if you need the secret key to get to it?

I think I'm needing to create the account first and the trial version isn't doing that?

• @TomWolsky I’m sorry for the confusion about an account. If you purchased a standalone license for 1Password 7, you didn't get an account. 1Password accounts are part of subscriptions, which have automatic sync between your devices, access to 1Password anywhere, and an account to access everything. You can create one to get the benefits accounts include, or you can keep using 1Password as you always have.

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Hope that helps clear things up. Let me know which way you are using 1Password so I can help you get things set up.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

I'm running 1P7 in the subscription trial version at the moment.

• @TomWolsky Okay perfect. Then to answer this question:

What's a 1P account? Does a trial membership work? To sign into a 1P account you need a secret key. How do you find the secret key if you need the secret key to get to it?

Your 1Password account is how you use 1Password with your subscription. You do need a Secret Key to sign in to it, and you can find your Secret Key in 1Password for Mac's preferences:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

When you open https://my.1password.com in a browser and sign in using your Secret Key and the Master Password you signed up with, do you see all your items in the vault(s) there? If so, you're all set to go, and you can return to 1Password for Mac and remove your old Primary vault if it's still there. To remove it, switch to it, then click Vault > Delete Vault in the menu bar.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Confused. To find your secret key you need to sign in.

"Find your Secret Key in your 1Password account
    You can find your Secret Key and Setup Code in your 1Password account on the web. Use a browser you’ve used to sign in to your account before, like the browser on the computer you used to create your account.
    Sign in to your 1Password account."

To sign in you need the secret key.

At what point is the secret key created, because I've not got there yet.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky - sorry for the confusion. We're a little confused, too, because you said this:

I'm running 1P7 in the subscription trial version at the moment.

What that means to us is that you visited the main 1Password sign-up page in a browser and followed these steps to sign up for a 1password.com account. Did you do that?

If so, the first time you sign INto your account after signing UP, you'll be prompted to save your Emergency Kit, which would have your Secret Key on it. If you added your new account to 1Password for Mac, then you should be able to visit Preferences > Accounts in 1Password 7 for Mac beta, and see your Secret Key right there. Can you tell us whether you've taken these steps yet, please? Thanks in advance.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

"What that means to us is that you visited the main 1Password sign-up page in a browser and followed these steps to sign up for a 1password.com account. Did you do that?"

Nope. I just clicked on trial in the application under membership where it offers the membership or the license. Should that take me to the default browser to sign in?

Thanks.

P.S. Going through the process I arrive at this:

Is this to create a new vault? I assume because it's a trial it doesn't have the option to access an existing vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky - Is this what you're referring to? The Try it for free button in this window?

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

On the page that showed the two prices, one for membership, one for license. I think that took me to this. I selected Sync using iCloud. From there I got the download option if I remember correctly.

Think I need to delete new account at my.1password.com and start again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky - right. That's the main 1password.com sign-up page. It has nothing to do with existing local vaults. At that screen (in your screenshot), you'd need to create a Master Password, after which you'd use it to sign into your account for the first time, and be prompted to save your Emergency Kit (which would have your Secret Key in it).

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks. I've signed up with my email and verified it and got a secret key and an emergency kit and used my vault password (because I'm familiar with it) and I have a new account with three items. Seems good so far. Now how do I get this to show my existing vault?

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I clicked on my initials to see my profile and got this

Looking for two buttons: one, to get back to the vault; and two, to lock the vault. What am I missing?

Getting back to the vault requires the back button it seems. Once you've clicked around for a while, as I did, that's multiple steps back. Perhaps a more direct link is needed.

Still not finding a lock button. Should there be one?

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

In the video on this page

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

Heather describes moving the existing vault to the new account. At this point

she says that because she has 1P installed she gets a prompt to add the account. I didn't get that. I was in Safari though with 7b5 installed and actually open.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky - Not sure why you didn't get the prompt, but you can [add your account to 1Password for Mac manually] and then continue (https://support.1password.com/add-account/) migrating your existing data to your account. Don't forget to delete the old, no-longer-needed Primary vault. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

I didn’t delete it. I thought I should hold onto it as I’m still doing this as a trial. Still testing the browser and looking at two factor.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky - fair enough! Just remember that the Primary vault will remain the vault "in charge" of 1Password for Mac if you don't delete it. Whatever Master Password you used there will be the one you're still required to use to unlock 1Password for Mac, even if you chose a different Master Password for your 1password.com account. Happy trialing, and let us know if you have any questions. :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thank you Lars.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky - you're quite welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.