Bugs in notes display (was: New layout doesn't work for me)

doof
doof
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Forgive me if I'm missing an easier way to do this, but I have many logins where the second step is 'enter characters 3, 7 and 9 from your secret phrase' or some such.

My secret phrases are all random characters so I store them in the notes section of the 1password browser plugin as follows:
1 2 3 4 5 ...
a b c d e ...
so I can easily see which character is in which position. It takes a bit of juggling spaces to get it to line up correctly, but once it's done it's really quick to use.

In 1password 7, the formatting is different in the edit display and in the non-edit display, making it next to impossible to do this. Can you change it back please, or introduce a new, fixed width format for dealing with this incredibly common senario?

Thanks.

1Password Version: beta 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

This post should assist you. Personally I simply use the show in large type option for a saved password—which displays the characters with numbers under each one.

Stephen

• doof
    doof
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply: I see that 'show in large type' is a workaround although it takes up lots of screen and requires three mouse clicks rather than the one I was doing before.

Using pre-formatted text markdown will be the way forward, although I see there a still some bugs to work around, namely that

1. the notes display doesn't expand to the correct size
    2. deleting text from a note can cause it to be duplicated rather than deleted.

• Hey @doof! It looks like the Markdown formatting in 1Password 7 is removing those extra spaces in the first line of your note. I'm not quite sure what to do about that since Markdown is enabled on all notes. I'll chat with the team about this use case.

For the duplication issue when you edit a note, does this happen every time you edit a Secure Note? What about the notes field in a different type of item, like a Login?

• doof
    doof
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Not really sure how to help you here. Just try making a note and then editing it. Not a secure note, just a note field within a login item. It's obvious when you try it. Let's say you have a note that is two lines long. You go to edit the note, delete the two lines and replace them with two new lines. Your note is now 4 lines long, featuring the 2 new lines followed by the 2 old lines, plus some weird formatting due to the markdown.

• Thanks for letting us know, @doof. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.