1Password7 Standalone

bennett49
bennett49
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I want to uninstall the trial version of 1Password7 which I've install on my MacBook. 1Password refuses to uninstall. The utility App Cleaner won’t remove it.

When it's removed, I want to purchase and install the standalone version of 1Password 7. The trial version that I downloaded installed a cloud based, subscription version, the utility which I don't want.

I've been using 1Password 6 which I purchased via the App Store. I also have the iOS versions on an iPad and iPhone and I am happy with this arrangement. I sync via iCloud.

Many thanks,

PeterB

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:uninstall 1password7

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I want to uninstall the trial version of 1Password7 which I've install on my MacBook. 1Password refuses to uninstall.

@bennett49: Can you be more specific?

The utility App Cleaner won’t remove it.

Thats not something we can really help with, but we generally recommend NOT using a "cleaner" app because those often nuke people's data along with the app itself. :(

When it's removed, I want to purchase and install the standalone version of 1Password 7. The trial version that I downloaded installed a cloud based, subscription version, the utility which I don't want.

It doesn't matter. The app is the same either way.

I've been using 1Password 6 which I purchased via the App Store. I also have the iOS versions on an iPad and iPhone and I am happy with this arrangement. I sync via iCloud.

Good to know. Have you tried simply dragging the 1Password app to the Trash? If you do that, and then restart your Mac, you should have no trouble installing the beta. But actually I have both the current Mac App Store version and the beta installed here, so you should certainly be able to have one installed. Please let me know what you find.

• bennett49
    bennett49
    Community Member

OK, I'll keep what I have. However, when I try to reinstall 1Password7 and follow the prompts on screen it tells me 1Password is still open. I can’t find any sign of it open, and when I select Force Quit it is not listed on screen, so I can’t re-run the installer.

If both the cloud version and the standalone version are the same, how do I register the standalone version and obviously pay for it.

Currently, on my machine, both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 are working OK. At least I think 1Password is working OK. When I check for updates it get an error.

Many thanks,

PeterB

• bennett49
    bennett49
    Community Member

I've solved the issue of the error message with Check for Updates. I found a post on the forum dealing with this issue. "Include beta builds" must be checked in Preferences. So I've solved that problem.

I'm also running 1Password 6.

I appreciate the advantage of the subscription based payment system. However, I do not want my 1Password data stored in the cloud. Hence my enquiry regarding the standalone version on 1Password 7.

The new interface is nice and I like it. And so far I haven't found any issues with it.

Many thanks,

PeterB

• Hi @bennett49

Thanks for the update -- glad to hear you found a workaround for the updater issue.

As for standalone vs subscription, usually when we talk about these concepts payment and storage are tied. If you're using a subscription you're storing your data on 1Password.com, and if you're not then you're storing your data on your devices (and perhaps with a 3rd party cloud storage solution). This does not have to be the case, though. It is possible to have a membership and use standalone vaults at no extra cost. It isn't something we generally recommend, as 1Password membership vaults provide the better experience, but it is possible.

That said we'd be interested to hear your reasoning behind not wanting to use 1Password.com based vaults. There has been a lot of discussion in this forum about that. Have you had a chance to read some of it?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.