Fill ID and One Time Passwords

xylemphloem
xylemphloem
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Neither of the above are working for me with the new Chrome Extension with OP 7. There is no one time password field using the new chrome extension - I have to go into the 1password app to find it.

From within Chrome, filling my info using "identities" does not fill...failed on multiple websites.

1Password Version: 7 beta 5
Extension Version: 1.6.0
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @xylempholem! I'm not quite sure what you mean.

There is no one time password field using the new chrome extension

There is for me. If you've got a Login record with a TOTP code already established, you should see it when you select it in the mini. If you're referring to creating a TOTP code, you can click on the record in question that you want to add a TOTP code to in the mini (or 1Password browser extension), choose "Edit" at the top left of the record, and click the circle with three dots to change the field-type from the default (text) to One-Time Password, like so:

From within Chrome, filling my info using "identities" does not fill...failed on multiple websites.

Sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me which websites?

The main issue here - or at least a big part of it, at any rate - is that you've installed and are using 1Password X, not the usual 1Password extension that's designed to go with the native 1Password for Mac application. Please visit our extensions page and download the Chrome extension there. You may want to turn off 1Password X for now, as you're testing this. Let us know how it goes for you! :)

• xylemphloem
    xylemphloem
    Community Member

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. I think the issue was related to me running 1P 7 and 1P X, not the usual extension. I have since turned off X and the issues have gone away. If you wouldn't mind, please explain the difference(s) between the "standard" 1P setup and using X. Is X a replacement for the 1P app? Thanks again.

• xylemphloem
    xylemphloem
    Community Member

While I am at it, I noticed I misspelled my screen name...Would you be able to change it to "xylemphloem" please....Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

@xylemphloem

I noticed I misspelled my screen name...

Heh. I noticed that too, but I wasn't gonna say anything. Figured there was a chance it might've been intentional and you'd be offended if I said you had a typo. ;)

Would you be able to change it to "xylemphloem" please

Already done. :)

...please explain the difference(s) between the "standard" 1P setup and using X. Is X a replacement for the 1P app?

Happy to! We released 1Password X last November, and the pace of development on it since then reflects our excitement about it. It continues to get better and more fully-featured with every iterative release, and as Dave Teare said in that November blog post, we think it is "the future of 1Password in the browser." But, is it a replacement for the 1Password app? Not quite, and not yet.

Both 1Password X and the "regular" 1Password browser extension make 1Password useful by helping you, the user, save and fill items into your browser. The difference lies in 1Password accounts: in the "old days" before we created 1password.com accounts, everyone by definition had to be a standalone user, since there was no other option. That means: you download the main 1Password app from us, and you begin creating your 1Password data locally, on your own computer. The "regular" 1Password browser extension was (and IS) basically a conduit between the 1Password app on your computer (and the data you stored in it) and your browser. You visit, say, Amazon, and you click the browser extension, which interfaces with the data stored locally within the 1Password app, allowing you to fill the login credentials and sign into Amazon.

1Password X, by contrast, needs no local app but it only works with 1password.com accounts. With a 1password.com account, the "canonical record" of your data is stored on 1password.com servers, not on your local device. Because that's the case - and because we control both ends of that equation (the local extension and the 1password.com servers), it's possible for a different kind of browser app to connect directly to your data on 1password.com without needing a local app. In both cases, the extension has to get your data from SOMEWHERE, in order to know what to fill. In the standalone model, it connects to your storehouse of local data; in 1Password X, it securely connects directly to 1password.com, eliminating the need for a local 1Password app that lives in your Applications folder.

Make sense? You're not required to use 1Password X if you have a 1password.com account...but you're welcome to! The reason you might not want to quite yet is, well, some of what you discovered: 1Password X is awesome and it's getting better all the time, but it can't (yet) do everything that you can do with the local app and "regular" extension. Filling identities, for instance, would be an example. In the future, we expect most people who are using 1password.com exclusively (instead of standalone or both) will probably switch to 1Password X, because it will be more flexible and probably ultimately more powerful than the existing local app/browser extension combination...but for now, both are possible, depending on your individual preference (and whether you're using standalone vaults).

Thanks for the question, and feel free to ask any follow-ups.

This discussion has been closed.