Does the Windows beta work with local vaults?

goriol
goriol
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

I just downloaded the Windows beta (v7.0.532) but could not unlock my vault with my master password (I am using a local vault).
Using my old 1Password 4, I can unlock my vault with that same password without any problem.

I saw the "Open vault on this PC" option is disabled in the 1Password menu.
Reading the 1Password 7 announcement, I saw the version was able to work with local vaults. Was it wrong?

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @goriol,

Thanks for writing in.

Yes, 1Password 7 Beta 1 supports opening existing standalone vaults. In addition, 1Password 7 support multiple vaults and has its own internal database to store all of the vaults, so it is possible for its master password to be different from any of the vaults you may have added in the past. Do you remember if you changed your vault password later after you added the said vault to 1Password 7 and if yes, did you try the old password in 1Password 7?

If you're not sure, I'd recommend renaming the internal database and start over with the standalone vault you have in 1Password 4. Here's the instructions on how to do this.

As for the Open vault on this PC option being grayed out, you do have to unlock 1Password first before you can add or remove vaults.

• goriol
    goriol
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your quick answer.
    You say "Do you remember if you changed your vault password later after you added the said vault to 1Password 7" but I did not perform any specific action to add this vault to 1Password 7. I just downloaded 1P7 and tried to use it directly without any configuration. Did I missed something?

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @goriol,

Did you try 1Password 6 in the past? 1Password 7 is a direct update to 1Password 6, so your local database will be left alone if you uninstall 1Password 6 at any time in the past.

If you're not sure, I would recommend just renaming the database anyway to start over cleanly with 1Password 7.

• goriol
    goriol
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,

No, I did not try 1Password 6 as it can't manage local vaults (my vault is in my dropbox).

Renaming the database is not an option for me as I would lose hundreds of passwords.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @goriol,

No, I did not try 1Password 6 as it can't manage local vaults (my vault is in my dropbox).

The first 1Password 6.0 release did support using Dropbox and standalone vaults but as read-only. We removed it in 1Password 6.3 and bought it back in 1Password 7.

1Password 4 and 1Password 7 are two separate products with two separate data storage, the database for 1Password 7 has no connection to 1Password 4 or any existing vaults you had in the past.

When installing 1Password 7, it does not know anything about existing vaults from 1Password 4, it will not import it by default. It will reuse the database stored on your drive, which means you had to use 1Password 6/7 at some point in the past.

Renaming the database is not an option for me as I would lose hundreds of passwords.

Renaming the database would not cause you to lose the data, it simply moves it out, so a new database can be used for you to add your 1Password 4 vault to it. You can simply restore the database by renaming it back.

If you cannot remember your master password for 1Password 7, there is no way to get into it, you'd still have to start over.

This discussion has been closed.