Disable password strength meter

Options
verdi1987
verdi1987
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I would like the option to disable the Password Strength Meter. I find the color and animation distracting (mostly the animation). Frankly, all of my passwords are as strong as the websites permit, and I do not need to see that they are “Fantastic” every time I click them.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @verdi1987! Thanks for the suggestion. We're likely going to keep the password strength meter around since it provides some good feedback for folks to know whether they should actually use the password they generated or not. If you have some ideas for making that feedback better, let us know. :)

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

On a vaguely related note...

Sadly I'm not a fan of all the 'movement' currently on display in 1P7.

Some of it I assume is because it's a beta - Preferences change dimensions with every section selection, fields in 1P mini Password Generator misaligned etc.).

But other stuff is (to me) flash over substance - the tab that pops out every time my mouse wonders into the sidebar, the aforementioned Password Strength meter, locking/unlocking animation etc. Looks cool for a quick demo, but gets old really fast when your trying to get stuff done and things just keep shifting, changing and popping in & out. Howsabout an iOS-esque "Reduce Motion" option (highly unlikely I know :))?

Just my tuppence :) (British 2 pence worth.)

Still, I appreciate all AgileBits' hard work - thank you.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts @TonyHall. :)

Ben

• ottonomy
    ottonomy
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to @verdi1987 for a way to hide the strength meter and +100 to @TonyHall on a general motion-reduction option. I very strongly dislike extra motion in GUI. I have all such options turned off in Mac OS, and it irks me every time one of my favorite app developers decides to add more motion candy. The aforementioned sidebar hover-tab is like a fly buzzing around my head. I want to swat it dead every time I see it. And yes, even the venerable main unlock animation, as much as it's a long time staple of the 1Password experience, would be turned off, if I had the option. It was almost worth seeing the first time...

• Ben
    Options

The unlock animation is very unlikely to go away or have an option to disable, as it is masking the decryption operation that is happening in the background. Without it 1Password would appear frozen while that operation is happening.

That said, I’ll certainly pass the feedback along to the design and development teams.

Ben

• ottonomy
    ottonomy
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, that makes a lot of sense, and I understand the need for the initial animation (a lot of developers use animation to mask the load time of various things, so the app doesn't seem frozen). And honestly, that animation is the least annoying to me :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear it! Perhaps you'll also get used to some other animations in time as well, but we'll continue to evaluate the best ways to refine the design for all 1Password users too. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member
    Options

Instead of getting used to some on the new animation over time, it just more annoying. I was in the old version of 1Password yesterday and entering tags and notes was so much easier. I didn't have to search for the box that I wanted. Your new interface is a huge step backwards.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

It really doesn’t make sense to see these animations all the time. I click between login entries many, many times a day (especially Favorites). I’m not certain what the animations (in this case the Password Strength Meter) are accomplishing.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

Ben

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    Options

I quite like the animations. So just a point to say that not everybody feels the same way.

• Ben
    Options

Yep, understood. :)

Ben

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    Options

I noticed that in Beta 10 the password strength meter is now a static graphic. Thank you. :-)

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.