1Password7 beta does not auto fill web log in

Junrong
Junrong
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I upgraded to 1Password 7 Beta for Mac 2 days ago (family account), it seems work well for everything else apart from fill in any of my web log in, it does open the correct page, but not fill in any details even I click into the field and right click, select '1Password', nothing happen. I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013). Please help and thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-6(70000006)
Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-5
OS Version: macOX High Sierra v. 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password7 beta does not auto fill the log in

Comments

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Open and Fill has been disabled in the Beta for the moment.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/421902/#Comment_421902

• Junrong
    Junrong
    Community Member

Many thanks steve23094 to point me to the right place. I was searching '1Password 7 Beta', nothing come up........

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Junrong,

Just to be precise, the new Safari extension is lacking open-and-fill, all other supported browsers still use the existing stable or beta extension with native messaging and open-and-fill works there. The Safari extension is brand new as of 1Password 7 and we're still working on it. Indeed, there were improvements we were waiting on in Safari that came as part of 10.13.4 or Safari 11.1 for those not on High Sierra.

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member

Geeze. I can't stand this.
    How do I go back to the old 1password?? I'll wait for 7 to be released?
    I ran 1Password6, but the browser exentension is still new. I re-installed it.. it's still new . what to do?

New == Broken

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kutenai_id - 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 6 for Mac use entirely different data paths, so your existing 1Password 6 for Mac data will be exactly as you left it. You'll want to Quit Safari, then 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Confirm no 1Password processes are running by checking in Activity Monitor, quit any that are open. Once you're sure 1Password is fully quit, drag 1Password 7 for Mac to the trash -- don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Open Safari (if it wasn't already) and visit Preferences > Extensions. You should see nothing there for 1Password, but if you do, remove it. Then visit our extensions page and download/install the current version of 1Password's Safari extension (4.7.0). Launch 1Password 6 for Mac and you should be ready to go. Let us know how that works for you.

• kutenai_id
    kutenai_id
    Community Member

I assume I'll need to do the same for extensions in Firefox and Chrome.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kutenai_id - nope, which is why I didn't mention those. The Chrome and Firefox extensions have remained unchanged. You should be able to switch from version 6 --> version 7 and back again without affecting those at all. If you do have problems, deleting and reinstalling is probably a good first step, but you shouldn't need to do it as a matter of course.

• AlexNZ
    AlexNZ
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

'Open and fill' is very hit and miss for me.

Using Chrome, I've noticed:
    1. Launch 1Password mini (option+command+backspace) whilst on a website's login page.
    2. With the correct website highlighted in 1Password mini, hit enter.
    3. Nothing happens.
    4. Reboot machine, launch Chrome, reproduce steps 1 and 2
    5. Open and fill works as intended and logs me in.
    6. Mac goes in sleep mode
    7. Log back in machine, try step 1 and 2. Nothing happens, until I reboot the machine again.

Notes:

• Re-launching Chrome doesn't fix the issue, I have to reboot my laptop.
    • When jumping from a Chrome profile to another in the same OS session, sometimes 'open and fill' will work in one but not the other, and vice versa...

Really, I can't see a pattern in how this works for now

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) - MacOS 10.13.4 (17E199) - Google Chrome 65.0.3325.181 - 1Password 7.0.BETA-8 (70000008) - Chrome Extension: 1Password beta (desktop app required) 4.7.1.3

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AlexNZ - thanks for reporting; we're still looking into this one, so keep an eye on updates for resolution of this issue (and any others). Cheers! :)

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

I too am having issues with Chrome and the 1Password extension. Frequently, on a page with a login, selecting that login, which is automatically at the top of the 1Password extension menu, will do nothing. I'm required to manually select and paste the credentials. This applies to the keyboard shortcut as well.

To summarize, 1Password in Chrome recognizes the site and the fact that it has the login credentials in its database, it just won't fill in those fields automatically.

• Do these same logins work in 1Password 6, @KBeat?

Ben

• JeroenVdb
    JeroenVdb
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Hello Ben, I experience the same problem as KBeat and AlexNZ. When I use my shortcut key to fill in credentials, then select the correct item nothing happens. Nothing gets filled in. Very so often it does work.

I switched back to 1Password 6 (removed 7 and reinstalled 6) and it works again now.

• KBeat
    KBeat
    Community Member

Hey Ben,

I don't have 1Password 6 on my machine to test at this point, but I can say that I don't recall ever running into this issue with Chrome and 1Password before, and these are fairly common logins for me. So I'd be pretty confident saying they worked okay in 6.

It's inconsistent, sometimes the auto login works, and sometimes nothing happens and I have to manually paste the user/pass.

• mikeormerod
    mikeormerod
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same behavior, also using the 1p modifier with Alfred to open sites & fill in credentials. It's very hit & miss.

• Thanks for the feedback on this folks. We'll continue to investigate and will get back to you if we need further information. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.