beta7 updater runs incessantly without user confirmation

user0
user0
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

The 1Password 7 beta updater runs continuously in the background, downloading the newest version, extracting the archive, then asking for an administrator password to install itself. Since I don't want to install the update at this time, I hit cancel on the password dialog, and 1password repeats the process... ad infinitum...

The update/download dialog actually asks "Would you like to download and install the new version now?" but it proceeds on its own without any confirmation.

The only way to stop this is to quickly cancel the DOWNLOADing process (as the download only takes about 2 seconds), and you'll finally be provided with actual options to install or not.

This is extremely annoying.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @user0,

There's a new option that should help. It's in the Updates tab of 1Password's preferences and it's titled Automatically install updates. I don't know if that option will stay but it's there at least in the betas until we learn more about the good and bad of attempting automatic updates.

• user0
    user0
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables - I was looking for such an option (which I did not find), assuming that would be the cause of the problem.

My Preferences|Updates tab include only:
    Check for updates (Check Now) (Show Release Notes)
    x Automatically check for updates {NOTE: but NOT automatically install}
    x Include beta builds

Maybe you mean just turning off "automatically check" ?

The issue is that the normal (Skip This Version) (Remind Me Later) (Install Update) buttons are not displayed unless you manage to hit cancel on the automatic download of the new version. This is just a small bug but should be noted.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @user0,

It looks like it's a new addition to 7.0.BETA-6 so hopefully you'll see it after installing the most recent update. It seems one way or another we're going to encourage you to install that update. Slightly more seriously, let me know if you don't see the option I've mentioned once you get time to install the BETA-6 update.

• user0
    user0
    Community Member

There is is. Thanks @littlebobbytables :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@user0 - on behalf of littlebobbytables, you're quite welcome; thank YOU for helping us test out 1Password 7 for Mac beta -- glad he was able to help you!

This discussion has been closed.