Multiple Sets of 1Password Data

anthonygiuliano
anthonygiuliano
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi, I recently paid for the update to 1Password 7 (which I'm loving by the way!). During the setup process, I guess it scanned my computer for my existing 1Password data so that it could import it, or process it, or do whatever it is so that it would work with the new version of the app. It identified 2 sets of data (I'm tempted to use the word 'vaults', but I don't know if that's technically what I'm talking about). I chose the data that was recently used / updated, and everything is good.

Now I'd like to go back and find / delete the older data. Where would I go to look for that, and how will I know that I'm deleting the old / unused data as opposed to the data that I'm currently using.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-6 (70000006) AgileBit
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: 10.13.4 (17E199)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@anthonygiuliano - Glad to hear you're enjoying the beta of 1Password 7 for Mac! The two "vaults" version 7 identified at startup when you were trying to import your version 6 data are not actually vaults at all. They are two entirely separate, complete sets of data. How could you have two entirely separate, complete sets of data (I hear you wondering)? Because, at some point in the past, you have had installed 1Password from both the Mac App Store and from us (AgileBits).

This may not have been simultaneously; perhaps you were using our version back in the 1Password 5 for Mac days, and then switched to the Mac App Store version for 1Password 6 for Mac - or vice-versa. There could've been any number of reason why you had both versions at one time or another, but the end result is the same: the two version store their data in different places. Our version stores your data in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/, while the Mac App Store version (due to Apple's sandboxing) stores its data in ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/.

In previous versions of 1Password (6 and below), there was a mechanism whereby each version would look for data in the other version's spot, in case you had inadvertently or intentionally switched between our version and the Mac App Store version, and offer to import it. With 1Password 7 for Mac, it's in yet another (combined) location (Group Containers), but because we have to look potentially in TWO places (the above two I mentioned), if you have data in both of those, you'll get the choice you mentioned.

Fortunately for you, you made the right choice for the vast majority of people: the one that has more data and (most importantly) been most-recently updated. That's likely the one you were using just prior to switching...but, if you have data in both places, we don't make that decision for you. So: if you want to remove the other set of data, you can remove it from the location I mention above, depending on which one you're (not) using. There's really no harm in leaving it there, however, as it won't interfere with 1Password 7 for Mac, now that you've switched over.

• anthonygiuliano
    anthonygiuliano
    Community Member

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I do remember switching at one point from the app store version to the direct version, although I don't remember why. I'll try to identify and remove any traces of the data from the app store version of 1Password and come back if I have any trouble. Thanks!

• Thanks, @anthonygiuliano. I would highly recommend backing up any data before you delete it, just in case. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.