database sharing question

plouffejj
plouffejj
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Do 1Password6 and 1Password7 share the database? I have both installed on my iMac but the 1Password7 shows that my account is frozen because I need to update my subscription. However, since installing 1Password7, I cannot sync from my iMac to my mobile devices. When I try to sync on my iPhone, a popup appears saying to unlock 1Password on my mac to continue syncing. I opened 1Password7 and was able to sync, but the information is not what I have in my 1Password6 version. Is the fact that my account is frozen preventing 1Password7 from using the latest data (see my opening question about sharing the database)? How do I force a sync with my 1Password6 information?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.0
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: wlan

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@plouffejj

Do 1Password6 and 1Password7 share the database?

Yes and no. Officially, no: 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 store their data in different locations. However, when you install 1Password 7 for Mac, it should look in the two potential places you might have had 1Password data from earlier versions (6 and previous), and offer to import that data for you. So in that sense, the data should've been an identical copy of what you had in 1Password 6 for Mac at the time you performed the install of 1Password 7 for Mac. If you've been making changes since that time to the 1Password 7 for Mac data, then those changes will not be reflected in 1Password 6 for Mac.

However, since installing 1Password7, I cannot sync from my iMac to my mobile devices. When I try to sync on my iPhone, a popup appears saying to unlock 1Password on my mac to continue syncing.

This sounds as if you have had a WLAN (Wi-Fi) sync set up in the past between your Mac and one or more iOS devices. Is that the case? Yet earlier, you also describe getting a message about a frozen 1password.com account. These are two entirely different methods of syncing data, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the change to 1Password 7 for Mac.

It sounds to me as if you had standalone (local) data at one point in the past, and then perhaps created a 1password.com account as well? The problem here is not that version 7 isn't syncing with version 6, it's that you appear to have both local data (probably in a vault called Primary) as well as a 1password.com account. Might that be the case?

• plouffejj
    plouffejj
    Community Member

Thanks for your comments. I do have a standalone account and created an online account when it became available but decided not to go that route so the membership had lapsed and my account was frozen. The 1Password7 app on my mac has a button at the top that says my account is frozen. When I click on the info icon it says I won't be able to use the app until I pay 39.99. Is this an upgrade charge or is it tied to my online account? Since 1Password7 is a beta, perhaps I'll wait until the released version comes out and do whatever needs to be done at that time to move ahead. I am very pleased with 1Password and will continue to use it. I was able to sync again with my 1Password6 after completely closing the 1Password7 and 1Password7 mini.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018

Since 1Password7 is a beta, perhaps I'll wait until the released version comes out and do whatever needs to be done at that time to move ahead.

If you aren’t interested in beta testing that is what I would recommend.

I was able to sync again with my 1Password6 after completely closing the 1Password7 and 1Password7 mini.

Great!

I am very pleased with 1Password and will continue to use it.

Very glad to hear it.

To answer your question about purchasing: 1Password 7 requires a new license unless you have an active subscription. Subscription memberships include all of the latest versions of our apps.

Ben

ref: GGH-73137-415

This discussion has been closed.