1Password Data Migration confusing

nriley
nriley
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

The first time I tried to upgrade to 1Password 7 beta 6, I got this window. I know when I've seen similar dialogs in the past it's explained where the data is; in this case it doesn't and it's confusing. There also seems to be a visual issue with "(null)" being displayed.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nriley - sorry for the confusion. The window you helpfully screen-shot above will only be displayed if you've used both the Mac App Store version of an earlier version of 1Password 4-6 for Mac AND our version of 1Password for Mac. Each version (ours and the Mac App Store version) store their data in a separate location. Most people only ever have (and only ever need) one version -- but the 1Password 7 for Mac installer looks in both places to see if there's existing 1Password user data...and if it finds data in both places, we don't make the decision FOR you about which data set you want to use. Typically, it would be the set that's most-recently updated which is also the one with the largest number of items...but you can choose either one you wish.

If you chose the highlighted one (which is what the installer will recommend: largest/most recent update), and the resulting import in 1Password 7 for Mac looks OK to you (i.e. - no missing logins, etc.), then you're fine. If you think you may have chosen the one you didn't want to import into 1Password 7 for Mac, let us know and we can give you steps for resetting the 1Password 7 for Mac data and going through the install/import process again.

This discussion has been closed.