1PW7 New section field rearrange - how to do this?

Options

In 1PW4 Mac and Windows versions, the software had the ability to rearrange custom sections and the fields under those sections.

Am I missing the trick to rearrange sections and fields? Or is this functionality not present in the updated software?

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Thanks for reporting this.

We don't yet have the "drag" UI handles implemented but focus the field you want to move up and down and then press Alt + Up/Down to move them.

Sections are not possible to move but we're looking into it.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT that works perfectly for me. Thank you!

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

• freekbron
    freekbron
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there! When I do a Google search for rearranging sections, I see posts dating back to 2013. Is this feature ever going to come?

• MikeT
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi @freekbron,

Thanks for writing in.

Yes, it is something we'd like to support in the future but we don't have a timeframe on this, it may be a long while though as this is a very difficult feature to implement due to what it requires us to do.

• MLock
    MLock
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there!

Just a gentle ask - is this feature coming soon? We're trying to implement 1password widely for managing multiple customer fields and therefore tweaking how we use sections each time - the "need to get it right first time" approach to sections is a little tricky - we'd ideally like to evolve how we standardise everything as we go!

For example, a end user with one "system" (as an Item) might have multiple devices of different types, #1, #2, #3, each with different sets of password fields, with a summary section at the end (notes). Adding sections in between would be great - i.e Customer gets another #1 device, so adding that section in line with the other #1 devices

Would really appreciate any tips, or what best practice for 1password might be for this!

Thank you!

• Could you maybe give me a dummy example of what this sort of record might look like for you @MLock? My first instinct is that unless these "devices" can be fields rather than sections there won't be a great way to do this right now, but having a visual of how you want that data to appear can help me be a bit more creative about other options for organizing it that might maybe be better in the short term. Even a screenshot of an example item with fake data would be a great help. Thanks! :chuffed:

• MLock
    MLock
    Community Member
    Options

For example, I want to keep track of the specs, users, and sw passwords for a customer system. A system has 3 different devices which could be added to later. Unless there is a way to achieve the below, I'm having to use a naming system where there are different Items for each device, and a note with a the same naming system which groups it together which keeps all the info between the devices

Item = Customer System 1

• Device 1
      -- DeviceInformation
      --User logins
      ---User 1 / password
      ---User 2/ password
      ---User 3/ password
      --Software Logins
      ---SW1 / password
      ---SW 2/ password
      ---SW 3/ password

• Device 2
      --Device information
      --User logins
      ---User 1 / password (etc)
      --Software Logins
      ---SW1 / password (etc)

• Device 3 (etc)

• I may actually lean towards using separate items, @MLock. It may seem untidy at a glance, but I feel it would give you that flexibility you're looking for and you can use tags to filter your item list to only the items related to that customer system. You could even take it a step farther and use a nested tag – Customer System 1/Device 1, Customer System 1/Device 2, etc. – to allow filtering down to the device level as well. The type of info you want to store for these devices doesn't all fall under the umbrella of a single item type. You have some usernames and passwords (Login items), some software licenses (Software License Items) and general device information (probably best in a Secure Note). You certain can store all of this in a single item using custom fields, or in a Secure Note, but each of those item types is aimed at storing a particular sort of info and will give you a template of fields that may well make it easier to add the information you need. Plus Login items are fillable so they have some extra super powers you wouldn't get out of other item types you might miss if you stuck to using custom fields or a note.

Using this method, you would have far more items, true, but they would be easier to update and change as things evolve and tags should keep things manageable. For example, if you were working specifically with Device 1 in your example, you'd select the Device 1 tag under Customer System 1 and you' see only the following:

• 3 Login items with usernames/passwords for each user.
    • 3 Software License items with info for each piece of software related to this system
    • A Secure Note containing device information.

These items become your section headers, in a way. It's easier to add new items or edited existing as you add additional devices or users than it might be to juggle the formatting of various custom sections/fields within a single item. You can also add additional filters with other nested tags. Customer System 1/Software could show all Software Licenses for Customer 1, just to give an example. You can make these as granular as you need to help you find the item(s) you want quickly. Add that tags are searchable (tag:"Customer 1" would filter your item list same as selecting that tag in the sidebar) and you have a few different ways you can access that info. If you wanted, you could even have a vault for each customer so you could use switching to that vault as your first filter.

Is this something that might work? Does it sound reasonable? I don't want to sound like I'm saying you're doing it wrong – there are endless ways to organize information in 1Password in no small part because different strategies work for each of us – but I often find other perspectives on how to accomplish my organizational goals help. I wasn't a heavy user of tags for a long time, but some teammates shared how they use them at one point and since then I've found them to be one of the most flexible organizational tools at my disposal. Even if this isn't a perfect solution, I hope it helps you consider at least one different alternative and, of course, if you have concerns about this approach do share them. We can always iterate and work our way towards the best solution for you. :+1:

• MLock
    MLock
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks very much, I'll give that a go! Really appreciate the quick feedback and tips!

• MikeT
    Options

On behalf of Kate, you're welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.