1PW7 entry editing while in a tag view, mis-focusing behavior in mid-panel

Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

While selecting a specific tag in left hand panel, I select an entry in mid-panel for editing. Press Ctrl + E to edit. At this keypress combo, the rightmost panel displays edit mode for the entry I selected, but the mid-panel jumps to (I think) All Entries view.

I would expect that the mid-panel stay showing the entries under the tag I selected at the very beginning of this process.

1Password Version: 1PW7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

Small addendum, I've noticed similar behavior in All Items view. I've sorted "All Items" by "Date Created" to clean up new entry tags. I've scrolled back in time to a past date to look at tagging. If I make an edit, the min-panel jumps to the topmost entry in the mid-panel view. That is unwanted behavior. I'd prefer the originally selected entry stay the focus in the mid-panel, rather than scroll down, edit, have focus jump back to top, scroll down to where I was, edit next record, jump back to top, scroll down again for the nth time, wash rinse repeat.

• Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Thanks for reporting these issues.

At this keypress combo, the rightmost panel displays edit mode for the entry I selected, but the mid-panel jumps to (I think) All Entries view.

I've selected a tag that had 5 items in it, I did the shortcut to edit the item, nothing changes in the item list, it remains the same at 5 items.

Are you seeing this all the time? What if you restart the 1Password app completely?

I've sorted "All Items" by "Date Created" to clean up new entry tags. I've scrolled back in time to a past date to look at tagging. If I make an edit, the min-panel jumps to the topmost entry in the mid-panel view. That is unwanted behavior. I'd prefer the originally selected entry stay the focus in the mid-panel, rather than scroll down, edit, have focus jump back to top, scroll down to where I was, edit next record, jump back to top, scroll down again for the nth time, wash rinse repeat.

Are you sure it is sorting by date created and not date modified? Your behavior sounds like it is by modified, which is the normal because the item you just modified is now the most recent on top. It is supposed to do what you're seeing once you save the item.

Note, this behavior is consistent with 1Password app on macOS as well, so this isn't a bug as far as I know.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@MikeT I rebooted my machine last night and I could not cleanly reproduce the issue, but after clicking around, I finally could. Series of clicks and keyboard commands captured as follows using Windows Steps Recorder. I've attached screen prints of where I should have been after these clicks/presses, and where I actually ended up. The tag I selected, the topmost entry when selected is login.gov. See screen print #1. After the mid-panel jumps, the mid-panel is now showing comet.ml, see screen print #2. You can see in screen print #2 I am editing an entry I found in "Security Uses 2FA". If I click "All Items", comet.ml is the topmost entry in that view, so I'm pretty sure after the mid-panel refocuses, it's jumping to All Items. I would expect to mid-panel view to stay showing the items in screen print #1

Recording Session: ‎4/‎9/‎2018 1:06:53 PM - 1:07:22 PM

Recorded Steps: 10, Missed Steps: 2, Other Errors: 0

Operating System: 9600.18946.amd64fre.winblue_ltsb_escrow.180302-1800 6.3.0.0.2.48

Step 1: User keyboard input on "Desktop (pane)" [... Alt-Tab]
    Program:
    UI Elements: Desktop, #32769

Step 2: User keyboard input on "Task Switching (list)" in "Task Switching" [Alt-Tab Alt-Tab]
    Program: Windows Explorer, 6.3.9600.17031 (winblue_gdr.140221-1952), Microsoft Corporation, EXPLORER.EXE, EXPLORER.EXE
    UI Elements: Task Switching, TaskSwitcherWnd

Step 3: User left click on "Security No Secret QA (text)" in "1Password"
    Program: 1Password for Windows desktop, 7.0.532, AgileBits Inc., 1PASSWORD.EXE /SILENT, 1PASSWORD.EXE
    UI Elements: Security No Secret QA, TextBlock, Security No Secret QA, 160 items, ListBoxItem, ListView, TAGS, Expander, ScrollViewer, ExpandedSidebarLinksView, SidebarView, MaxiView, SecureContentControl, 1Password, Window

Step 4: User left click on "Security Uses 2FA (text)" in "1Password"
    Program: 1Password for Windows desktop, 7.0.532, AgileBits Inc., 1PASSWORD.EXE /SILENT, 1PASSWORD.EXE
    UI Elements: Security Uses 2FA, TextBlock, Security Uses 2FA, 19 items, ListBoxItem, ListView, TAGS, Expander, ScrollViewer, ExpandedSidebarLinksView, SidebarView, MaxiView, SecureContentControl, 1Password, Window

Step 5: User keyboard input on "1Password (window)" in "1Password" [... Ctrl-E]
    UI Elements: 1Password, Window

Step 6: User left click on "Dec 2016 (list item)" in "1Password"
    UI Elements: Dec 2016, ListBoxItem, ListView, ItemListView, MaxiView, SecureContentControl, 1Password, Window

Step 7: User left click on "MyUserAccount Squarespace (text)" in "1Password"
    UI Elements: MyUserAccount Squarespace, TextBlock, MyUserAccount Squarespace, ListBoxItem, ListView, ItemListView, MaxiView, SecureContentControl, 1Password, Window

Step 8: User keyboard input on "1Password (window)" in "1Password" [... Ctrl-E]

Step 9: User right click on "MyUserAccount Squarespace (text)" in "1Password"
    UI Elements: MyUserAccount Squarespace, TextBlock, MyUserAccount Squarespace, ListBoxItem, ListView, ItemListView, MaxiView, SecureContentControl, 1Password, Window

Step 10: User keyboard input on "1Password (window)" in "1Password" [Down Down Down Down Down Down Enter]

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@MikeT I can't get this to reproduce cleanly even after having it happen once. It's definitely a combo of entry selection under a tag and moving around within the entries of that tag.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@MikeT I have some good news. I have a more concise reliable way to force that min-panel jump to happen.

• Open 1PW7
    • Scroll down to tag
    • Click tag name
    • Click an entry #1 under tag name to select
    • Press Ctrl + E to edit
    • Realized I misclicked and selected the wrong entry, without exiting edit mode on entry #1, I click entry #2 to select the correct item
    • Because 1PW7 is laggy and probably having trouble because I didn't close entry #1, Ctrl + E doesn't seem responsive. So instead of Ctrl+E, I right click entry #2 to select "Edit" from pop-up menu
    • Mid-panel jumps from tag view to All Items view

I've closed and reopened 1PW7 three times and able to reproduce this behavior each 3 restarts.

Regarding the addendum, I have not figured out a reliable way to cause the problem I noticed yesterday in All Itew. I'll continue to investigate. Whatever I was doing yesterday has some similar sort of click, edit, misclick, edit behavior as to what I was doing at the tag level. I am 100% confident that I was in "Date Created" sort for All Items.

• bundtkate
    edited April 2018

@Superfandominatrix: I'm able to reproduce your experience with the tag view using your steps. @MikeT is busy with some testing in preparation for the next beat release, so I'll make sure I pass it along. :+1:

ref: OPW-2098

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@bundtkate great news, thank you as well~ good luck with the new beta release.

• Thanks so much @Superfandominatrix! It's been a while since I've seen an update myself, even, so I've got my fingers crossed Mike isn't able to break anything too badly and we'll see some exciting new stuff soon. :chuffed:

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@MikeT @bundtkate Version 7.0.593, I can't recreate the jumping error in this version update, so good news~

• Hi @Superfandominatrix,

That's great news considering that we haven't implemented the fix for this yet, it's in progress but we're continuing to polish all of this.

This discussion has been closed.