Options for an El Capitan machine in the 1Password 7 world?

cssbz
cssbz
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm currently using 1Password 6 happily on several Macs, syncing via Dropbox. One of these is my trusty mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro, which although it is still working well, sadly won't run an OS later than 10.11 El Capitan.

I see from https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/88607/what-is-the-os-requirement-of-1password-7-for-mac that 1Password 7 requires macOS 10.12 Sierra, so it won't run on that machine.

If I upgrade to 1Password 7, what are my options for accessing my 1Password data on that machine? Can 1Password 6 on that machine access 1Password 7 data? https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7 says "Setting up syncing with Dropbox now uses our newer OPVault format", so perhaps they are incompatible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Unfortunately, the choices are limited here, unless you are willing to forego 1Password 7? I am already a subscriber but I am still hanging on to 1Password 6.8 for Mac while it still works for me. Apple, with its emphasis on iOS these days, has given the Mac a lower priority? Safari Extensions development have been neglected.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2018

Hi @cssbz,

1Password 6 supports the OPVault container, it's just that 1Password 6 still allowed syncing to the older Agile Keychain container as well. Both versions will be able to read and write to the same OPVault and the only differences I'm aware of will be visual in nature. Instead of seeing nested tags in 1Password 6 you'll see individual tags describing the tree structure, just as they will appear when viewing the tags from the item details pane. Notes that use Markdown will appear unformatted but we went with Markdown because even when you do this it's still quite readable. Given 1Password 7 will be a paid update and not everybody will move, possibly because of whatever version of macOS they're running I fully expect I'll be maintaining vaults between the two versions as well for troubleshooting purposes. I don't envisage any issues doing so.

• cssbz
    cssbz
    Community Member

Thanks - much appreciated.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.