1Password 7 Web Content spawns endlessly

nickoneill
nickoneill
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I ran into a weird problem today with my mac throwing "fork: Resource temporarily unavailable" errors and random applications not starting. It turns out that I had many, many 1Password Web Content processes in my activity monitor and I was bumping into the 512 user process limit. Quitting 1Password 7 Beta seems to have killed them all and restarting it hasn't immediately brought them all back. Things look like they're working normally.

I've been running the beta since the day it was announced on the blog, so it's been about that long to build up the number of web content processes to reach the limit.

Edit: I'm running:

1Password 7
Version 7.0.BETA-1 (70000001)
AgileBits Beta

I also tried to check for updates but that crashes so I'm not sure if I have the most recent version 😭

1Password Version: 7 beta 1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:web content

Comments

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

You need to update to Beta 6 to fix that spawning problem.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@nickoneill if you're having the beta crashing when checking for updates and you're using beta 1 please do the following:

• Go to 1Password 7 > Preferences > Updates and ensure that Include beta builds is checked.
    • Then update to the latest beta (which at the time of this post is beta 6).

Running the updater in beta 6 will still produce a crash—extensively reported in this thread, so no need to report it again :) —but what I've suggested should get you over the crash in beta 1. If for any reason it doesn't do please post again and someone will provide more help.

If you can update to beta 6 you should find your problem about excess processes is resolved.

Stephen

• nickoneill
    nickoneill
    Community Member

Thanks! I've successfully updated to beta 6, I'll keep an eye out for excessive processes but it sounds like it's fixed already.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nickoneill -- yep, both @Stephen_C and @steve23094 got it right: this was a bug present in earlier releases of 1Password 7 for Mac beta, fixed in the most-recent updates. Glad to hear updating appears to have solved this for you, but if you notice anything odd in Activity Monitor or just in general, well, that's what the beta period is for - let us know! And thanks for helping us kick the tires. :)

This discussion has been closed.