1PW7 click mouse and hover mouse focus unclear with different colors used

Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

While reproducing a different issue, I realized I did not understand the meaning behind highlighting colors and which item I was actually selecting. When I first open 1PW, the view normally is All Items in left panel. As an example, I mouse click an entry I see mid-panel. When I do that, the entry is highlighted GRAY.

I move my mouse to hover over a second entry, the first item changes to BLUE, the second is now GRAY. Based on behavior from the first entry, this 2nd item looks selected but it's not. If at this point I press Ctrl + E, the first entry is opened in edit mode.

If I click the 2nd item after the hover, item #1 is no longer BLUE and item #2 changes from BLUE to GRAY, and now if I press Ctrl + E the #2 item opens. Unless I also, after the mouse click on #2 item, press the Alt key then the #2 item is BLUE. I tend to do an Alt key press to reconfirm exactly which item is the app focus. If I press Alt, then Ctrl + E, the BLUE #2 item opens.

Which color means an item is selected for editing? GRAY or BLUE? Based on what I've described it can be either. I've been dealing with the confusion by forcing focus over a specific item with right hand mouse click to open the pop up menu.

1Password Version: 1Password7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Thanks for writing in.

Blue means it is selected.

The gray just means your mouse is hovering over it. If your mouse is on top of the selected item, it does incorrectly turn gray. We'll look into making sure hovering over selected items does not change their colors.

Everything you described is normal so far is correct, we just need to avoid changing the selected item color when hovering over it.

ref: OPW-2083

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@MikeT Removing gray under a mouse cursor hover would definitely help clear up selection issue.

That said, testing shows that GRAY also means an entry is clicked once and selected. The clicked item is not turning BLUE upon the first mouse click, the entry is first GRAY. I can not make an entry turn from GRAY to BLUE by clicking it more than once. The only way to make an entry BLUE is subsequently pressing the Alt key. If a selected item can be both GRAY or BLUE depending on the preceding clicks and keyboard presses and selected, what does the color difference mean?

Thank you as always! Sorry to report such a trivial matter ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

testing shows that GRAY also means an entry is clicked once and selected.

Your mouse is over the selected item once you clicked it, it will change to gray because your cursor is over the selected item. You have to move the cursor away from the selected item before you see the blue.

The only way to make an entry BLUE is subsequently pressing the Alt key.

You're defocusing the item list when you press ALT key, pressing ALT focuses the menus on the titlebar with your keyboard. It turned blue because the mouse focus is gone and is no longer on the selected item. Instead, the keyboard focus has taken over on the titlebar. If you press Alt again to focus the item list, you're going to see gray again with your mouse over the selected item.

However, stay tuned for the next update, we've already changed how this work entirely as beta 1 didn't have the final design for the selection/hover effects.

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@MikeT Thank you! I am really sorry for pushing hard on this small detail. I've put my entire family on 1PW, and I'm testing for them generally and my mom specifically. She does not respond well to changes and hates technology :-) onwards and upwards.

• @Superfandominatrix: Your mom isn't on the beta, is she? The UI is one thing we're iterating on a lot, so I'd bet the constant changes would drive her nuts. :lol: And don't ever apologize for sharing feedback. Every little bit helps and I can promise you I've bugged Mike about smaller things on frequent occasion. Heck, I'm pretty sure I commented on those colors being a bit too similar myself. Even the little things are important. They're the difference between good and great, after all. :chuffed:

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member

@MikeT @bundtkate Version 7.0.539, the selection color and hover behavior is much easier to understand. If I see something else confusing in this space, I will come back later.

• @Superfandominatrix, awesome, thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.