no Synch on my Windows 10 PC

pawo
pawo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

My 1PW App on one of my Windows 10 PCs is not synching anymore. All changes I made on this device are shown and kept in "Off-line Changes", all changes I made on other devices are not shown. It appears that the 1PW is somehow disconnected and I cannot get syncing triggered whatever I do. I do not want to delete the App and re-install or log-off because I then will lose all my new entries which are currently held unter "off-line chnages". What can I do? htx

1Password Version: 7.0.532
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

I gave up on my off-line changes and de-installed the app and re-installed it. When I re-install first obviously the non-beta version 6.8.534 all works fine - syncing. Then I get offered beta version 7.0.507 and install it. Also with this one all works fine - syncing instantly. Then it offers me the latest beta version 7.0.532 and I install it. With this one nothing works fine - no syncing at all. Also in settings-update the update channel cannot be chosen, all blank. There is clearly a bug here. :-(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pawo: Since your description is a bit sparse I'd love to get some information from you to try to figure out what happened, but it sounds like you may have destroyed the evidence. Did you "reset" the app completely?

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Well, everything can be replicated easily. For failure search nothing was destroyed. I simply can install 7.0.532 again and all will be the same as before, with the problem of syncing. Shall I do that?

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

I had installed now again 7.0.532 and the problem was there again as before - no sync. However, I have found a mitigation of the problem, even when maybe not the rootcause. I am constantly using a VPN. When I switch it off, the sync instantly starts working. So it has to do somehow with the VPN. This is strange though, as I was always using the VPN, with no problems on sync before. Anyway, its a workaround for me now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I had installed now again 7.0.532 and the problem was there again as before - no sync. However, I have found a mitigation of the problem, even when maybe not the rootcause. I am constantly using a VPN. When I switch it off, the sync instantly starts working. So it has to do somehow with the VPN. This is strange though, as I was always using the VPN, with no problems on sync before. Anyway, its a workaround for me now.

@pawo: Aha! First of all, thank you for doing so in the interest of science. Or beta testing. Either way, I appreciate it! That's really interesting because pretty much everyone else I've heard from who was having sync issues with version 6 has found that version 7 resolved the issues for them. So I'm weirdly excited to see if there's something else we can do to improve version 7 for you and everyone else.

Interestingly, I have similar issues with some other apps and services with only some of the many VPNs I use regularly. So yeah, possibly not something we have control over, but, if nothing else, I'd love to understand why this is happening in case it affects others as well.

The best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening there:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#VAX-13863-252]

If you’re reading this and you are not pawo, this Support ID is for pawo only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: VAX-13863-252

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

thanks a lot, Brenty! will do over weekend.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. We'll be here. :)

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Hi brenty, unfortunately I havbe to say that we won't be able to further investigate this. Over the weekened my VPN made an automatic update and since then I cannot replicate the problem anymore. However, I will take your instructions here and keep them for any potential next such problem and then hopefully I can be more adding value. Thanks for your kind help and have a good day. pawo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi brenty, unfortunately I havbe to say that we won't be able to further investigate this. Over the weekened my VPN made an automatic update and since then I cannot replicate the problem anymore.

@pawo: That's good news for you at least. Glad to hear it's working for you now. Would you be able to share the VPN versions involved (previous broken, and current working), in case others are using it? If not, no big deal. :)

However, I will take your instructions here and keep them for any potential next such problem and then hopefully I can be more adding value. Thanks for your kind help and have a good day. pawo

Likewise, thanks so much for your patience and willingness to work with us on this. It can be a bit maddening when we're not able to narrow down the exact cause, but I'm glad in this case you're at least no longer having trouble. We're here if you need us in the future though. :chuffed:

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member

Thanks a lot, brenty.
    I'm using ExpressVPN. The version I have now and which is working fine is 6.6.0 (4121). The previous version was 6.5.1 (3605). Best regards, pawo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pawo: Thanks so much! I'm not familiar with that, but it can be hit and miss for me too with things working depending on which VPN I'm using. Glad to hear their update helped in your case. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.