unable to log in with master password after installing Win 7 beta

sharpshooter
sharpshooter
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello, (First, my apologies, but the Category dropdown is only allowing me the option to post in the Mac Beta; I am posting from my Win10 system)

I have two Win10 systems that were running 4.0 with Dropbox sync. To assist with the beta, I upgraded both systems to 7. The first system installed perfectly and continued to work properly, with the same master password as 4.0. The second system installed without error, but rejects the master password. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 1P 7 beta on the machine exhibiting problems but it has not resolved the issue. 1P 4.0 remains on the system in question and functions properly. Thank you in advance for your help.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626, 7.0.532
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10 1709
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:unable to log in with master password after installing beta

Comments

• @sharpshooter: Could you let me know at what point your Master Password is being rejected? Are you see a problem when trying to open your vault for the first time? Are you seeing a lock screen off that bat that rejects your Master Password rather than the setup screen? Knowing a bit more about where you're entering your Master Password when its getting rejected will help us narrow down possible problems. Thanks! :chuffed:

• sharpshooter
    sharpshooter
    Community Member

It is occurring from the first attempt, meaning I've never been able to open the new version. I place the correct password into the prompt, the lock graphic turns purple, then red. On subsequent attempts during the same session, it remains red each time.

• Hi @sharpshooter,

Just to be sure, when you install 1Password 7 for the first time on the second computer, it did not start up with the lock screen but the welcome tour where you asked it to open the new OPVault folder from the first PC, right?

Reinstalling 1Password does not resets its local database, so I want to make sure you didn't install 1Password 6/7 in the past that opened a different vault or 1Password.com account.

If you did in fact open the OPVault folder manually via Dropbox, do you recall if Dropbox said it finished syncing everything? Sometimes, if Dropbox didn't finish syncing, 1Password may not be able to unlock at all because it is missing a file. Can you double check to make sure the whole 1Password directory is done.

• sharpshooter
    sharpshooter
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

The installation on the second machine did not prompt me for a vault location. It went very smoothly and I do not recall it asking for any information at all. Given that, I assumed that it:

1. Looked at the config from 4.0 and knew it was pointed to Dropbox
    2. Used the information and found the new OPVault folder created by the installation of 7.0 on the first machine.

If that's not the case, it explains why the second machine is "lost". Can you tell me how best to ensure the second machine is looking for the appropriate Dropbox location?

Thanks

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @sharpshooter,

That is not the case, 1Password 7 Beta at the moment does not reuse anything from previous 1Password 4 app nor does it scan for existing vaults. It does reuse the same internal database file that is left over from any previous 1Password 6 or 7 installs since 1Password 7 is a direct update to 1Password 6.

To redirect 1Password 7 to your Dropbox vault, you'll want to rename the local database for 1Password 7, here's the instructions on how to do this.

• sharpshooter
    sharpshooter
    Community Member

Thank you! That fixed it. I will attempt to duplicate on additional systems (I have many Win10 boxes I can use to test); the second system never followed the initial setup process that allowed me to select my vault location.

Also, before creating my initial post I found the KM doc you provided me, but I shied away from it because it said "Resetting 1Password will delete your vaults, items, and settings. Before you start over, you can try to resolve some issues you may be having...." I was overly cautious because I believed it might have been linked to the correct vault and might delete it. I really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks again

• You're welcome. The article is just being very cautious about that part and we want people to contact us first to make sure it is the right thing to do.

This discussion has been closed.