Password Generator - Should work without master password

YellowVista
YellowVista
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

In 1Password 4 for Windows, I can right click on the icon and open the password generator to generate passwords any time. But in 1Password 7 beta, it prompts me to enter my master password to unlock 1Password before I can use the password generator. It would be helpful if the password generator could be used without unlocking my vaults.

1Password Version: 7.0.540
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: none

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @YellowVista,

Thanks for writing in.

The problem is that when you copy the new password, 1Password has to save the password into your database, so that you can recover later if saving Login item doesn't work. That's not possible without unlocking 1Password first and 1Password 4 does the same thing only in the wrong direction. 1Password 4 ask you to unlock after you copy the password. If you quickly ignore this, then the password will be lost.

We do not plan to change this behavior, this is an intentional change.

• YellowVista
    YellowVista
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

I understand that reasoning, and it makes sense. In my case, I use 1Password to generate passwords (or diceware / "word list" passwords) for purposes other than saving them into 1Password. So saving the generated password into 1Password isn't always part of the workflow.

• Hi @YellowVista,

That does make sense, it's just that we're trying to be cautious in a way that it benefits majority of the users if not all. The number of times we hear that people losing track of the new passwords is a lot. We're investigating for more ways to save the data as well.

This discussion has been closed.