Cannot install browser extensions in 1Password7

hsmatis
hsmatis
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I go to 1Password7 --> Browser Extensions.

After doing that, I see no option to install a 1Password extension. Only version 6 extensions.

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:install browser 1Password 7

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hsmatis,

The Firefox and Chrome extension is the same for both 1Password 6 and 7. Only Safari has significant changes here and it installs the extension automatically, a bit like how it works on iOS where you only need to enable it. Any extension you already had installed for 1Password 6 will work with the 1Password 7 beta :smile:

• vangen
    vangen
    Community Member

I have a license to 1password7 when I try to install the 1password7 extension for Firefox I am asked to log in to my 1password7 account. I have none since I have bought a license not subscribing. Can that be true?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vangen: It sounds like you're installing the wrong thing then. Have you tried the 1Password desktop extension, which works with the Mac app?

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

• vangen
    vangen
    Community Member

Your link leads me to this installing page.I installed it - but the 1password button in Firefox is with a lock logo which means that it is locked untill you login with your account. I have bought the 1password7 as a license NOT a subscription. I want to be able to use this Firefox-entension with my 1Password7 extension. Can i do that or can i not do that???

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vangen: Then you installed something else — likely 1Password X. The extension I directed you to install doesn't have any lock on its icon. Please look again in your browser.

• vangen
    vangen
    Community Member

I downloaded it to my downloadfolder the ***.xpi file will only open from inside Firefox :open file. It will not open directly from the download folder And when you search in Firefox for extensions "1password" you get only one choice the Xversion

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vangen: Yep. 1Password X is listed in Mozilla's index. The desktop extension is not; it can be installed directly from our website, as I directed earlier. XPI files are the form Firefox extensions take, so it's expected that you'd be able to open it in Firefox. Let me know if you have any questions.

• vangen
    vangen
    Community Member

Just that i got confused. I seem to remember that a safari 1password extension was to be downloaded and installed from outside Safari - so i thought the same applied to Firefox . Adding to confusion was as you note "1Password X is listed in Mozilla's index. The desktop extension is not;" but that is maybe outside your control!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just that i got confused. I seem to remember that a safari 1password extension was to be downloaded and installed from outside Safari - so i thought the same applied to Firefox .

@vangen: You're not wrong! Until recently, it was necessary to install 1Password desktop extensions from the website. Now, with 1Password 7.2 and Safari 12, the extension is built directly to the app. This is only possible with Safari though, since Apple makes both it and the OS; others still need to be downloaded.

Adding to confusion was as you note "1Password X is listed in Mozilla's index. The desktop extension is not;" but that is maybe outside your control!

Not strictly outside our control, but for some annoying technical and historical reasons it isn't currently feasible for us to publish there. We do hope that will change in the future though. Again, sorry for the confusion.

This discussion has been closed.