Unable to migrate data from 1PW4 to 1PW7 -- very frustrated!!

Lorraine_
Lorraine_
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have 1PW4 (Windows), and have been trying for several days now to load all of my data into 1PW7, but when I get to the "Choose a vault to import into" dropdown, there are no vaults there - either in the .pif or the agile keychain option. I've tried closing and reopening the app, and have read everything I could find here, but I'm not getting anywhere. Can you please help me - I'm about to lose my mind!

I'm also using Chrome Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626; 7.0.543
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1
Sync Type: local

Comments

• Hi @Lorraine_,

Thanks for writing in. I'm sorry you're frustrated.

First, you cannot import 1PIF into standalone vaults right now, this hasn't be implemented yet in 1Password 7 Betas. We've mentioned it in our Known Issues here.

If you're using 1Password 4 for Windows, you don't need to export or import your data, the same vaults can be used in 1Password 7 Betas. Go to the 1Password Menu > Open vault on this PC and select the same vault folder you use in 1Password 4.

If you're not sure where your vault is in 1Password 4, open 1Password 4 and go to the 1Password menu > Reopen 1Password Vault to see the locations of your previously used vaults.

• Lorraine_
    Lorraine_
    Community Member

OMG - THANK YOU! I can't believe I've been struggling with this for 2 days! (Guess I should've broke down and asked sooner ;) -- oh well.

Immediate feedback: I love the UI, on both the app and the Mini. It seems faster (been using it for about a week now) --- much more Mac-like. My real computer is a Mac -- I'm just forced to use Windows here at work, so I'm delighted with the new look.

Now I have to figure out a good way to sync this with my Mac 1PW. Although some logins are just for Work, there are many that I need in both places. We can't use Dropbox here - any other suggestions.

Thanks again, Mike -- I really appreciate the lightning-fast response, too!

• MikeT
    edited April 2018

Hi @Lorraine_,

You're welcome. We encourage you to always get in touch with us if you struggle with anything for more than 20-30 minutes, we're always here and happy to help.

Now I have to figure out a good way to sync this with my Mac 1PW. Although some logins are just for Work, there are many that I need in both places. We can't use Dropbox here - any other suggestions.

How did you originally copy the vault to your work PC? Is there any cloud service they do allow? We support Folder Sync with 1Password 7 for Windows, which mean you can move your vault to any folder that's syncing with any third party sync tool or service. So, if you use Google Drive, iCloud Drive, you can just put the vault in there and it'll sync to your Mac as such, you can configure 1Password for macOS to read that vault folder.

We do provide our 1Password.com that includes automatic sync but I'm not sure if it'll work in your work environment, it's much easier to use 1Password.com compared to standalone vaults.

• Lorraine_
    Lorraine_
    Community Member

I didn't -- I started out fresh, slowly adding new entries as I opened them (using 1PW on iPhone for the login info), so I still have a lot of logins that I'd like to get into my Windows version. I think they allow MS OneDrive for Business - would it work with that?

• Hi @Lorraine_,

Yes, it should work with any third party sync service. The problem is that you can't use Dropbox and OneDrive to sync the same vaults at the same time. This means that on your Mac, you have to use WLAN Sync to sync the vault to your iPhone like so:

1. OneDrive between your PCs and Macs
    2. On Mac, you can have concurrent sync with WLAN (home network) and OneDrive, so while you sync the vault via OneDrive, you can enable WLAN sync on this same vault to push it to your iPhone.
  • Lorraine_
    Lorraine_
    Community Member

OK, that sounds do-able. I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out. And I'll ask for help sooner, rather than later, if I need it this time. :)

Thanks again, @MikeT !

• :) You're welcome and you have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.