Master password incorrect on single device after upgrading to 7-beta for windows

Options
avery_shealey
avery_shealey
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I recently upgraded my standalone version of 1password to Family accounts across all my devices. In doing so, I created a new Family vault with a new password and copied all of my data into it. I then systematically updated and removed local vaunts from all hosts, including the dropbox master.

On all macOS, iOS, and on a couple of windows 10 hosts, everything is fine. However, on one single Win10 host, the default master password is still the old password. I expected there to be a single master password across all devices based on the other device behaviors and other forum posts/responses. But on this one hosts, it refuses the accept the Family master password and only accepts the old local version. I've validated that there are only 3 vaults configured (Personal, Family, and SharedWife), all of which are in the Family account, not local. A search of the drive shows no vaults anywhere on the local drive. I've rebooted to clear any potential cache, but it's still using the old master password.

When I go to the website to log in (on the misbehaving machine), the website accepts my correct master password, but then it asks if I want to update my Master password. I select update, but nothing happens. All other devices are still at the new password and this one device is at the old one.

Is it possible it's cached in the sqllite db somehow? This is concerning as I'm concerned that a problem would break me across all devices. In the old world, my data was local and backed up - anything that happened to my files could simply be restored.

Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.0.543
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: WIndows 10 Pro (fully patched)
Sync Type: Family Account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@avery_shealey: It sounds like you just have a local vault still on one of your devices. We recommend removing that at the end of the migration process to avoid confusion like this. If you can confirm that you have all of your data in your 1Password.com account, you can easily reset 1Password there and then set it up with only your 1Password.com account so you'll have the same setup across all of your devices going forward. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member
    Options

I agree... it does sound like that. But when I'm in app, there are no local vaults listed and a search for anything with vault or 1pass in the names show nothing that looks like a vault.

I can definitely do the reset, but given that this is the beta I didn't know if there was anything else that you'd want before I blew it away.

• MikeT
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi @avery_shealey,

Just to be clear, there is no master password stored anywhere at all. Each 1Password install will have a local unique encryption key created to be the strongest on your device and then it'll be protected by the first master password you give 1Password. This means it is not your password that protects your database but the local device key that is protected by your master password. In other words, no 1Password install reuses the same encryption key, regardless of what you add to 1Password (1Password account or local vault). It is also how 1Password can add any number of vaults and 1Password accounts and you don't have to unlock each individually.

On Windows, we have some limitations that we haven't yet resolved. In this case, you can't change the master password of the local database and when you remove the first vault or 1Password account that "has the same password" as the password set to protect your database, it will not update it to the next password you give to 1Password.

If you originally started with the local vault, it'll be set as the master password for the local 1Password database. When you remove the local vault, 1Password 6/7 for Windows will not update its local database password on the next vault or 1Password.com account. This is a known issue that we will address properly in a future update.

What we do support right now, is when you're signed in to your 1Password account first time (setting it to be the local database password), if you change your password on 1Password.com website, 1Password on Windows will detect it as an authentication error and asks you to update your password. When you do, 1Password will re-encrypt the device key with your new master password.

• MikeT
    Options

For now, since this is a known issue, the best way to fix this is to reset the local database and sign in to your 1Password account to pull the data.

• avery_shealey
    avery_shealey
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect Mike. Thanks. That's the data I was looking for. I'll do the reset.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.