1password mini keeps hanging or freezing

Budexx
Budexx
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Sometimes, when I click on the 1password mini menu bar icon, it lights up, but the mini app doesn't pop up, and nothing will happen for a good few seconds. Eventually, when I click on it again after a few seconds it will behave as expected.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

1Password Version: 7.0 Beta-9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I don't see this, but it might be helpful to mention what browser you are using when you see this and also whether you're a subscription (1Password.com) or standalone licence user. Does it happen when you use a different browser?

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Budexx: Indeed, can you also let us know which extension version you're using? I haven't seen similar reports, so any additional details you can provide may be helpful. :)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

I see this as well, but clicking again in the FInder's menu bar icon does nothing, the only way to get out of this freeze is to click on the 1P icon in Safari's toolbar
    very annoying
    I use Safari 11.1 Mac os 10.13

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member

I've witnessed this on numerous occasions but haven't been able to work out how to reproduce the problem or ascertain the conditions that may cause it - hence I haven't reported it, although I've read other similar reports in the forums.

I now tend to launch the main 1P7 app to fix the problem. But I'm unsure if it's the act of launching the main app, random clicking other menu items and/or browser extension, or simply the passage of time that allows 1P mini to eventually open. Also, the problem will sometimes quickly re-occur.

Unfortunately I'm too impatient and will simply reboot my machine and get back to work, rather than fiddle about.

macOS 10.12.6
    Firefox 59.0.2 running extension 4.7.1.3
    1P7b9 (also earlier betas) standalone licence

• Budexx
    Budexx
    Community Member

I’m clicking on the 1Password Mini icon in the menu bar, not a specific browser extension. It has happened when using Safari, Chrome, or no browser at all (when trying to access notes for example). It’s hard to regularly reproduce, but happens almost every day. I’m on a stand-alone license of 1Password 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Budexx: Thanks for clarifying!

@Budexx, @TonyHall, @Gilles9: Definitely update to the latest beta and let us know if you continue having issues there.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report immediately so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots', and post your Support ID here so we can confirm that we've received it.

Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member

Hi all,

I too am having this problem, and I've just sent you a Diagnostics Report on it.

I've quoted this forum page in the email report.

Hope this helps,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@theengine - thanks! Someone will be with you shortly.

ref: HGN-89723-975

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Report sent

I think this problem occurs when it is a site where "Safari Password" filling is also set
    I could use either one with version 6.x
    now Safari shows a fill in to use, but if I use my 1P password, the Finder's 1P icon freeze, is useless, and only the Safari icon will allow use of 1P

edit: even if Safari auto fill for user and password is de-selected ( Safari pref ) the problem remains

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Me too: Diagnostic report sent.
    Safari

1Password 7
    Version 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)
    AgileBits Beta

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Thanks, @BobH and @Gilles9! Would you guys mind posting the support ID number here, so we can "connect the dots?" (will be in form #XXX-XXXXX-XXX)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

sorry, no support ID, emails were deleted
    note: I reverted back to 1P v 6..... problem occurs too frequently
    I'll wait for a few iteration of Beta builds before trying again

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member

Hi @Lars. Mine is #LKE-27513-439
    Bob

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Thanks, @BobH - someone will be with you shortly. :)

ref: LKE-27513-439

• user0
    user0
    Community Member

This has been happening to me since the first version of the 1password 7 MacOS beta. It's super annoying, happens every day, and affects all three 10.13 MacOS High Sierra computers I have it installed on. It's generally related to clicking the 1password mini icon in the menu bar after 1password has locked itself due to inactivity. The longer the wait, the more likely 1pass mini is to freeze, leaving nothing but an unclickable "blue highlighted" icon. It doesn't matter which browser is in use (or in fact, if a browser is the currently focused application). Once 1password is unlocked, mini generally (but not always!) doesn't freeze and hang.

• @user0

Do you have 1Password 6 installed as well?

Ben

• user0
    user0
    Community Member

Nope, I removed it at the time I installed 1p7, as recommended.

• klindt
    klindt
    Community Member

Hi
    not only the mini freezes, but also the extension in Safari. Only way to solve is to exit Safari and restart the browser. This also solves the freeze of the mini.

• Thanks for the additional information folks.

Ben

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member

I've just been reading about all the problems with 1P7's Safari extension, and noted that this issue is also being reported there.

So I had another play around...
    I normally use FF for web browsing, but use Safari for a specific reason a couple of times a day (not normally in conjunction with 1P). However, after invoking 1P7 mini with Safari in front, activating the Safari extension & switching spaces (something I do regularly) I was able to invoke this errant behaviour.

So long dull story short, I think this may well be related to the Safari extension which AgileBits have said is now being 'retooled' due to the numerous glitches being experienced with by others.

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member

Okay, it's official...I know nothing! :)

I've just experienced this after a fresh reboot without Safari being involved.

Diagnostic report generated immediately and sent: #KTU-59594-131

Date & time of report: 2018-05-04 at 19-20 (BST)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TonyHall: Yeah it's definitely a complex issue, and, with the amount of changes involved combined with how much we've all gotten used to the way it worked before for such a long time, it can be pretty confusing. Thank you for the diagnostics! We'll take a look and see what we can learn from your case. On way or another, we'll get this sorted out so it's smooth sailing again. Thanks for participating in the beta! :)

ref: KTU-59594-131

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member

Sad that 1Password Mini still doesn't work - nothing at all happens now except that the button is blue whilst "pressing"..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobH: I'm not sure why this is happening to you, but Lars never heard back from you via email. It would be best to continue the conversation there. Please send a new diagnostics report so we can investigate further.

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member

@brenty: There didn't seem much point - just saying that it is still the same.
    @lars said: "Actually, I guess I should say, we know what's going on -- and upcoming changes in future betas should render this moot".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobH: Sure, but at the same time, without updated diagnostic information from your machine we're probably not going to find out what's going wrong in your case when the problem persists. Can you share a video or screenshot of the issue? That would also probably be better via email for privacy. What Lars was alluding to is that we've completely rebuilt mini. So either the problem you're having is because mini isn't the cause, or that you're still using the old one for some reason.

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member

@brenty: @lars: I did resend the diagnostics earlier. Interestingly and I guess unsurprisingly, it didn't do it this morning. 100% replicable yesterday, works like a dream so far today. 🤨

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BobH: I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news, but we'll take a look and see if we can find some clues either way. Thank you very much! :)

• BobH
    BobH
    Community Member

@brenty: Life's experience would suggest bad news. And I'm an optimist :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Aww don't say that! :lol: We'll see what we can do to prove or disprove the hypothesis.

This discussion has been closed.