Updater Freezes when Extracting Archive

JadC
JadC
1Password Alumni
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

On this step in the installer:

My computer displays a spinning wheel of death, and the updater window becomes unresponsive until it closes when complete. This has been an issue since the first beta, but I just brought it up because it is not a huge issue--more of a nuisance.

Would it be possible to make the installer behave like in other apps where you are prompted for an update but have to physically click "Install update and restart" (but also has the automatic background install option). I am bringing this up because I am never able to read the release notes in the installer because it opens and freezes so quickly. I then have to manually open the release notes using the help menu.

1Password Version: 1P 7 Beta-9 (updating to 10)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @jadchaar,

Would it be possible to make the installer behave like in other apps where you are prompted for an update but have to physically click "Install update and restart" (but also has the automatic background install option). I am bringing this up because I am never able to read the release notes in the installer because it opens and freezes so quickly. I then have to manually open the release notes using the help menu.

Thanks for the feedback. We actually got the other complaint for this prior to now. People were unhappy that they had to click another button in order to install the update after having already clicked a button to download it. In any event you can turn off the automatic install of updates from the Updates tab in Preferences. It doesn't change the behavior of the buttons though.

Rudy

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@rudy I definitely agree that some people may not like that, but my problem is that I can’t read the release notes because it extracts and freezes too quickly before restarting. So there really isn’t a point of having the release notes in the installer if the behavior stays the same. It should instead just install the update in the background, and if you want, tell the user the app updated the next time they open the app if they want to see the release notes (like you guys do on first 1P 7 install). Or even better, if users want a hands off approach, just update and forget, no need for the user to know if they don't want to. :)

Just curious, why aren’t you guys using the Sparkle update framework? I really like how it gives you the ability to check a box if you want it to automatically install with out a prompt, but also gives users the option to open the prompt for each update:

Would it be possible to replicate the behavior of Sparkle in your own installer (giving users the option to pick the prompt or not)?

Sorry for sounding so critical. Just playing devil's advocate haha.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@rudy

Not sure why my last comment was removed, I think it mentioned something about getting "Approval" because I edited it a few times?

If not, please let me know and I will rewrite it haha.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@jadchaar

Not sure why my last comment was removed

It's our forum software. I found your comment in the spam queue (sorry about that). I could tell within seconds it wasn't spam, but apparently Akismet isn't as smart as I am (yay! job security! 😉). Anyway, you're back. I'm honestly not certain why we use the updater we use instead of Sparkle, but I can tell you that full release notes for 1Password versions (including betas) are always available at our updates server (which is a great resource anyway, especially if you need an older version to test for some reason). You can find it at: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/ - there, you'll find the full changelog for darn near everything, including legacy apps. So if you're not managing to see it all during updates, and you're curious to see if this or that bug was squashed or feature added, you can always see the entire release notes there. Thanks for the ideas. :)

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Haha! Yeah forum software can be quite dumb.

What I have been doing recently is going to Help -> Release Notes, and that has worked great. I just wanted to point out the fact that the release notes in the updater are useless if they go away so quick haha!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jadchaar - :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.