Lock keyboard shortcut doesn't work.

digichelle
digichelle
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Using the keyboard shortcut to Lock doesn't seem to work in beta 10. (It didn't work in beta 9 either, IIRC.) I can mash Control + Option + Command + L all day, and nothing happens.

Curiously, the actual menu item works, just not the keyboard shortcut for it.

I'm happy to provide additional information if you need it, of course.

Somewhat related: I'd love a lock button on the toolbar! That would be way more convenient for me.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.0.BETA-10 (70000010)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@digichelle: Hmm. ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ L? It's working here. Do you maybe have something else which is intercepting the keystroke(s)? Definitely try rebooting too, in case something's just hung up temporarily. Also, I can't say that anyone else has brought it up (or that I ever used it), but we can certainly consider having lock button in the UI. Anyway, let me know what you find!

ref: apple-394

• Tran
    Tran
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I was about to start a new topic on this issue.

The shortcut keys do not work only if the 1Password window is active. It works if 1Password's app window is inactive (for example, click on the desktop, and then execute the shortcut keys. The locking works.)

Unless we have something that is blocking the shortcut keys while 1Password's window app is active?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I was about to start a new topic on this issue.
    The shortcut keys do not work only if the 1Password window is active. It works if 1Password's app window is inactive (for example, click on the desktop, and then execute the shortcut keys. The locking works.)

@Tran: Hmm. I hadn't thought of focus being involved before, but that's a good point. However, when testing this ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ L does lock 1Password regardless of whether the main 1Password window is focused, unfocused, or closed completely.

Unless we have something that is blocking the shortcut keys while 1Password's window app is active?

That seems odd, but I can't think of why else it wouldn't lock. What macOS version are you using, and do you have 3rd party software that manages input? Also, double check 1Password Preferences > General, and try setting up a different key combination there. Let me know what you find!

• Tran
    Tran
    Community Member

What macOS version are you using ...

@brenty: I am using macOS High Sierra 10.13.1.

do you have 3rd party software that manages input

Not to my knowledge... I have not installed any dedicated 3rd-party software that manages input.

However, when testing this ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ L does lock 1Password

Hang on, is that the key order? 1Password (by default) listed as ⌃ ⌥ ⌘ L

Also, double check 1Password Preferences > General, and try setting up a different key combination there.

Finally, it now works (regardless of 1Password focused or unfocused)! I cleared the old shortcut with a new shortcut. But:

• I can't revert to the old key combination? I click on the return arrow within the field (see screenshot) but then the field says (in their respective fields) Click to record shortcut
    • I tried registering ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ L or ⌃ ⌥ ⌘ L but 1Password does not record L. Is L or some specific letters reserved? The letters T P A S K C M do not register as well. I can do, for example, ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ W

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hang on, is that the key order? 1Password (by default) listed as ⌃ ⌥ ⌘ L

@Tran: Sorry for the red herring! The order of the keys does not matter; they all just need to be held down at once. :)

Finally, it now works (regardless of 1Password focused or unfocused)! I cleared the old shortcut with a new shortcut. But:

That's great! Thanks for letting me know. But...

• I can't revert to the old key combination? I click on the return arrow within the field (see screenshot) but then the field says (in their respective fields) Click to record shortcut
    • I tried registering ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ L or ⌃ ⌥ ⌘ L but 1Password does not record L. Is L or some specific letters reserved? The letters T P A S K C M do not register as well. I can do, for example, ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ W

Thank you for sharing that! That's the key to the whole thing! That means something else is intercepting the shortcut, which prevents it from even reaching 1Password for it to record it. Do you perhaps have multiple copies of 1Password somewhere on your Mac? I'm wondering if there's another version of 1Password itself that's capturing this...

• Tran
    Tran
    Community Member

Do you perhaps have multiple copies of 1Password somewhere on your Mac? I'm wondering if there's another version of 1Password itself that's capturing this...

@brenty: Is it safe to conclude this is not a software glitch? :chuffed: I had 1Password 6 installed. I then installed 1Password 7 Beta 4 with auto updates to the latest Beta version as of now. During 1P7 Beta installation, I understand this will automatically remove 1Password 6. There is no 1Password 6 visible in my apps. Do you think there are old 1P6 files somewhere which are interfering with the shortcuts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tran: I'd at least like to rule it out. Did you do a Spotlight search? If you have a copy of 1Password somewhere other than /Applications macOS could certainly be launching it, and that would capture the lock keyboard shortcut. It's a good place to start since we know 1Password uses that. I have no way of knowing what other software you have would.

• Tran
    Tran
    Community Member

@brenty: Do we know where the keyboard shortcut information is being stored?

Is there a way to completely uninstall 1Password? I deleted 1Password 7 via Finder in Applications. Emptied the trash. Then I went into /Users/username/Library/Application Support and deleted the 1Password and 1Password 4 folders because of this running in the background upon restarting the OS:

Even though I uninstalled 1Password, it still remembers my preferences after reinstalling 1Password 7 Beta 18, for example my license info and which vaults I use.

In the meantime, I can register ⌃ L to lock 8-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Do we know where the keyboard shortcut information is being stored?

@Tran: For other apps? No idea. For 1Password, it's stored in a plist.

Is there a way to completely uninstall 1Password? I deleted 1Password 7 via Finder in Applications. Emptied the trash. Then I went into /Users/username/Library/Application Support and deleted the 1Password and 1Password 4 folders because of this running in the background upon restarting the OS:

I don't think you need to do that at this point, but if you really want to this article will help. You can also reset the app if you don't want to go that far...

Even though I uninstalled 1Password, it still remembers my preferences after reinstalling 1Password 7 Beta 18, for example my license info and which vaults I use. In the meantime, I can register ⌃ L to lock 8-)

But I think you nailed it! In the screenshot I see 1Password 3, and if you deleted the "1Password" support folder that was it. That could definitely be capturing the shortcut! I suspect after a reboot you'll be all set, but let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.