1Password shortcuts stop working when I close the main window

Ruyven
Ruyven
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

With 1Password 7 Beta 10, it's only working if the window is open and in the Dock. Once I quit the main app (which happens if I close the main window) it disappears from the menu bar, and the keyboard shortcuts / toolbar icons in all my browsers (Safari, Chrome) stop doing anything.
I already tried reinstalling it twice (the second time I deleted the app first), with no change in behavior.

Is that because 1Password mini no longer exists. Is it a bug or is the "always run in background" feature coming in the full version of 1Password 7?

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-10
Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-10
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1password.eu

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

With 1Password 7 1Password and 1Password mini are no longer separate applications: see, for example, this AgileBits' post. Thus if you quit the app I'm afraid it is going to stop working. :)

Stephen

• Ruyven
    Ruyven
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks for finding the thread, I knew I read about it somewhere!

(Of course, now the problems are:
    a) The 1Password main window cannot be closed; it needs to be open at all times. (Easily fixable by not quitting 1Password when closing the main window.)
    b) The Dock icon sticks around if I want to use 1Password, which is an unnecessary waste of space in the Dock as there is no reason for it to be there just to run in the background. I know this is also possible for the developer to change, hence my question - are there plans to change that?

1Password 7 Beta is now the only application on my system that runs in the menu bar, can be called with a keyboard shortcut, but requires dock space and an open window just to support the keyboard shortcuts. I really really hope that behavior will change soon, or the updates in version 7 are not worth this hassle.)

Update:
    To further complicate things, after reinstalling 1Password 6 and then reinstalling 1Password 7 Beta over it, now it works as expected: closing the main window keeps it open in the menu bar and keyboard shortcuts are still working.

• Ruyven
    Ruyven
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thank you for finding that thread! I knew I had read about it somewhere.

However, after reinstalling 1Password 6 and then reinstalling 1Password 7 Beta over it, now it works as expected: closing the main window keeps it open in the menu bar and keyboard shortcuts are still working. So maybe it was a bug after all? I hope so, as I'd hate to keep it wasting space in the dock and even as a window at all times.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's definitely a bit confusing. If it helps, 1Password 7 can (and will, and should, in order to enable browser integration) stay running in the background even if you close the main window. Unless you kill it in Activity Manager, something else does, or you press ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ Q to Quit 1Password Completely, it will stay running with 1Password mini shown in the menu bar (unless you disable that preference). Cheers! :)

• Ruyven
    Ruyven
    Community Member

Gotcha! Thank you brenty, happy to hear it's meant to work the way I want it to :chuffed:
    I still don't know what caused the bug in the first place, as I'm sure it should work even after a fresh install of version 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, there are definitely still some kinks to work out, but we're making good progress. Thanks so much for participating in the beta! :)

This discussion has been closed.