1Password doesn't launch from Safari add-in 4.7.1?

erich22
erich22
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

If I click Safari Extension -> Command -> Open 1Password when 1Password app already open in the background; does not bring 1Password to front and set focus. Seems like it worked correctly on 1P6?

1Password Version: 7.0b11
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@erich22: It's definitely working here. Are you having other issues in Safari? Definitely close it, restart your Mac, and see if that helps. It's possible something is hanging around from a previous version.

• erich22
    erich22
    Community Member

Hmm.. tried that but no dice. To be clear, I'm pressing the 1P icon in either safari tab bar, or in finder menubar. Then I click the gear icon, then select "Open 1Password' with 1Password logged in already in the background.

• erich22
    erich22
    Community Member

Ah... if I dont have 1Password open, do the same thing it asks for my password for 1P. At that point if I try again it brings 1P to the front. BUT... if I bring Safari to the foreground, and try it again without closing 1P -- it doesn't work the second time or threreafter!

• erich22
    erich22
    Community Member

These last two were results with 7.0b12 by the way...

• erich22
    erich22
    Community Member

just tried the same as above using FireFox 59.0.2, and regardless of whether 1P was launched or not when I started, it never brought 1Password to the foreground.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

How are you trying to use 1Password with Firefox? I always simply use the shortcuts: ⌘\ and ⌘\\ and those work perfectly for me.

Perhaps I've misunderstood the problem.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@erich22: Indeed, please let me know the specific steps you're taking so I can test it here. You should be able to use 1Password in the browser using any of four methods:

• Click the 1Password "keyhole" toolbar button with the mouse
    • Click the macOS menu bar icon for 1Password
    • Press ⌘ \ on the keyboard to fill a login on a webpage
    • Press ⌘ ⌥ \ on the keyboard to open 1Password mini

Definitely update Firefox and let me know what you find!

• erich22
    erich22
    Community Member

OK, here's a clearer description...

If I do not have 1P app open, then either

then enter password for 1P, and immediately press gear icon in either 1P @toolbar or menu bar, then select Open 1Password; then 1Password App is brought to the foreground.

If I have 1P app open and have logged in, then either lauch FireFox or bring it to the foreground; then either

then immediately press gear icon in either 1P @toolbar or menu bar, then select Open 1Password from the gear menu, the click goes nowhere and the 1P app is NOT brought to the foreground.

all of your above 4 commands work correctly, btw.

• rwakeford
    rwakeford
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

You're right. 1P isn't brought to the foreground but isn't it a lot easier and quicker just to click the 1P icon in the Doc? One mouse click as opposed to three? ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rwakeford: I personally prefer the keyboard, but that makes sense from a mouse perspective. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

all of your above 4 commands work correctly, btw.

@erich22: Thanks for confirming! I was worried we had a weird bug there.

If I have 1P app open and have logged in, then either lauch FireFox or bring it to the foreground; then either
    Click the 1Password "keyhole" toolbar button with the mouse
    Click the macOS menu bar icon for 1Password
    then immediately press gear icon in either 1P @toolbar or menu bar, then select Open 1Password from the gear menu, the click goes nowhere and the 1P app is NOT brought to the foreground.

I'm not actually able to reproduce that, so it may be that some changes we've made internally will help you with this use case...but I have to say that it doesn't seem weird at all to me that "Open 1Password" would do nothing when 1Password is already open. That option exists for cases where 1Password is closed. When it's already open, you can always just switch to its window in that case (which shouldn't be far away, given you were just interacting with it before Firefox). The Dock, ⌘ Tab, etc. But generally I just use mini in situations like that where I want to get back to it fast, and again there are many ways of doing that. I'll be interested to hear your feedback on future updates. :)

This discussion has been closed.