Getting the wrong extension for Safari

TomWolsky
TomWolsky
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Because of futzing with multiple OSs somewhere along the line my Safari extension disappeared. It's not just switched off it's gone. So I went to download it. Asked for betas. Got to the page to install for Safari and clicked download. If I double-click the extension it loads in the Safari Technology Preview. Is that expected?

1Password Version: 7b11
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TomWolsky,

If I double-click the extension it loads in the Safari Technology Preview. Is that expected?

That's what's expected when Safari Technology Preview is your default browser. If you want Safari to open it, right-click the downloaded extension file and choose Safari in the Open With submenu of the context menu. Similar to this (with Safari as my default browser):

I hope that helps. :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Odd. Safari is set as the default browser in General System Prefs.

When I started to write the message I was going to report something else. When I first downloaded from the Safari page I got a .crx file that opened in Opera. The next time I downloaded, while I was writing the message, I got the .safariext file that opened STP.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Happened again

The Click link may be wrong.

• Chris White
    Chris White
    Community Member

Oddly I'm seeing the same behavior, 1Password's extension disappeared sometime between last night and this morning, I tried to download the beta extension and for some reason it tried to open in Safari Technology Preview — not my default Browser, Safari is and this is the only time I've ever had something open it instead of Safari — and unfortunately, even when I do open it with Safari itself it does not install the extension.

It gets as far as asking me if I trust the developer but when I confirm it nothing happens, no button, no listing in the safari extensions preference tab, nothing.

I'm guessing this is related to bundling the extension internally with 1Password but at the moment, I have no way of using 1Password in Safari.

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

I got mine to work after right-clicking and selecting Safari. After the Trust button it loaded in the extensions preferences.

• Chris White
    Chris White
    Community Member

Yeah, somehow I missed the pinned thread about this on my first pass of the forums and once I restarted my Mac the extension installed fine. It's still odd that it's loading in Safari Technology Preview though.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

@TomWolsky Yep, I have seen this bizarre behaviour too (downloading the wrong file). I posted about it here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/429049#Comment_429049

• Hi folks,

Please try using this link directly, from within Safari:

https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.7.1.safariextz

Ben

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks.

• You're welcome @TomWolsky :)

Ben

• GeekOut_de
    GeekOut_de
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Had difficulties to get any of the Safari extensions work with Beta 12, but now I managed to get it running. No idea why and how. Any ETA for the final version?

Please don't get me wrong. I know 1P7 is still Beta. But I purchased the license almost 2 months ago and there are still Safari extension issues with every new seed. Is it Apple and their weird .safariextz architecture?

• Any ETA for the final version?

As soon as all of the issues are fixed. ;) In all seriousness... we don’t pre-announce launches until they’re ready to be released. We’ve always tried to put ourselves in a position to under promise and over deliver.

Please don't get me wrong. I know 1P7 is still Beta. But I purchased the license almost 2 months ago and there are still Safari extension issues with every new seed. Is it Apple and their weird .safariextz architecture?

We have had some particularly challenging issues with Safari due to an attempt to move to Safari’s new Safari App Extension (“SAE”) architecture. Unfortunately that just ended up requiring a lot more work than we were going to be able to put in before the 7.0 launch, and so we’ve reverted to the previous extension framework. We will resume efforts on SAE after 7.0 launches.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.