[Thanks] [New Mini] - Not Focusing On Password Field By Default

jfelchner
jfelchner
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I've been dealing with this for literally years and I'm extremely happy this "feature" didn't make it into the new mini.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @jfelchner,

I can't tell, are you happy or sad about this? :dizzy:

Rudy

• @rudy,

Happy, I think. :)

Ben

• It seems that in most cases you would be looking for the password value. It makes sense to have it selected, no?

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@rudy happy

@roustem no because as a keyboard navigator, if I want the password I press Cmd-Shift-C without ever moving to the info panel. The password field used to not be selected by default, then around 2011 it started being selected by default and I would literally always hit "Right Arrow / Down" to get to it. Even after almost 8 years, I still do it. Having "not the first thing" in the list be selected isn't how any other app works and it was just never intuitive to me. Even though I must open 1PW mini a hundred times a day.

Combined with the fact that there was a delay where the username was actually selected and you all had some sort of observer that moved it to the password field, but it wasn't immediate so I would hit "right arrow" to open the info panel, see the username selected, which made me press the down arrow, but then the observer would kick in and it would move focus down again. It was extremely annoying.

• Thanks for clarifying. :)

Ben

• When renaming items in the Finder, I still click and quickly move my mouse outside of the text label to speed up the click-editing timeout. AFAIK, that trick hasn't worked in 18 years.

This discussion has been closed.