1Password 7 BETA-16 crashes when importing a backup

Facts_do_matter
Facts_do_matter
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello,

I am currently using 1Password 7 BETA-16 (70000016) and I face a problem when trying to import a backup from my 1Password version 6. Everytime I attempt to do that, the version 7 just seems to crash. But there is no crash report. Once I restart the app manually, it's still the old data in the vault. Entries that should have been imported by the backup are missing.

Doss anyone face the same issue?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: BETA-16
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Facts_do_matter! Sorry to hear you're having trouble restoring backed-up data into 1Password 7 for Mac. Can I ask what steps exactly you're taking? I ask because "import a backup" isn't really how we do things; if you have standalone vaults in any version of 1Password from version 4 onwards, 1Password will make a daily backup of your data. These backups can be found in Preferences > Backup - is this what you're trying to bring into 1Password 7 for Mac? If so, using the Import function is not the way to go about it; you'd want to use these instructions.

On the other hand, if you've got a .1pif file, then importing is definitely what you'd want to be doing. Can you elaborate on what file(s) you have, and how you're going about it? Thanks.

• Facts_do_matter
    Facts_do_matter
    Community Member

Thanks for your quick response Lars. Here is what I did: I used 1Password -> Preferences -> tab "Backup" to get to the list of existing backups for my local installation. Then I selected the latest available backup and press the restore button (which can only be used once a backup was selected). This is quite the same procedure as the one in your link description. If I use 1Password -> File -> Restore, I get to the same backup tab as described above.

The result is always the same: Once I press the restore button, the 1Password window shrinks (I usually have the 1Password windows size maximized to cover my whole screen) and then the application just quits. After that nothing.

At first I thought I should give it some time for the restore procedure. But nothing happens. If I restart the app manually the window size is still minimized and no backup was restored. All entries in my vault are still outdated.

So is this a bug or a feature I couldn't wrap my head around so far?

• Facts_do_matter
    Facts_do_matter
    Community Member

Addendum: Still the same result with 1Password 7 BETA-18 (70000018)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Facts_do_matter: I'm really sorry for the trouble there. While we try to track down the cause, I think I have a workaround for you. Just to confirm, DO NOT proceed with this unless all of the data you need is in the backup (and you have more than one) you're trying to restore from. If you have data in the 1Password app currently which you need, stop and let me know.

Otherwise, you can reset the app and then select the backup when you set it up. That should get you back up and running at least. Let me know how it goes!

• Facts_do_matter
    Facts_do_matter
    Community Member

Before I try that: Currently I am using 1Password v6 and v7 Beta in parallel with the v6 still being my leading vault. So really all the new passwords and logins are created in that vault. Reason being that I wanted to test out v7 Beta with a limited password set until I believe the app is completely safe to use.

So naturally the v7 Beat is lagging behind. And I wanted to use a specific backup to close that gap a little bit. Question is now: what side effects might occur if I completely reset the v7 Beta and again try to rebuild it with a backup? Can I be certain that there is no effect on my v6 app? Because if nothing gets lost there, that would be real troubling.

• @Facts_do_matter

If you're not backing up your data via Time Machine or similar I'd highly recommend doing so before making any changes. That would be my default recommendation regardless of the situation. :) That said, resetting 1Password 7 should not affect 1Password 6. They store their data separately.

Ben

• Facts_do_matter
    Facts_do_matter
    Community Member

I just tried the reset and restore backup approach and that workaround did the trick. I now do have the expected passwords in my v7 Beta app.

Still - why did the problem with the backup arise in the first place? Is the v7 Beta incompatible with v6 backups?

• I'm glad to hear that worked. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer off hand for why this was necessary but hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of that.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Facts_do_matter: Honestly I think it happened because you're trying to use both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7. They don't share data, but there can be some weird interactions between them if they're both installed, because macOS can arbitrarily launch 1Password 6 mini. Glad to hear all is well now though. :)

This discussion has been closed.