1Password is showing an error when opening it in Chrome or Firefox

System
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows
This discussion was created from comments split from: "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working" randomly pops up..

Comments

• larue_de
    larue_de
    Community Member

Hi there, I'm on Beta 7.0.552 and on my windows pc, NET 4.6 and 4.7 are both installed. Nevertheless, when I activate the Chrome Plug-In (as well the Beta one) I'm confronted with the notorios error "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working." The 1Password 7.0.552 Diagnostics Report says: "Warning: Username "..." contains special characters, Chrome Native Messaging might not be able to start." What can I do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@larue_de: You'll need to create a new Windows user account with only letters and numbers, no special characters — including spaces. That's a known limitation of Chrome, and there is no other workaround.

• larue_de
    larue_de
    Community Member

It's not only about Chrome. It's the same with Firefox. It repeatedly crashes and says: ""1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working". If you can't fix this, because it's a "known limitation", what about a refound? Yesterday I paid more than 90 EUR for 1Password 7 (mac/win), but my workflow seems completely broken.

• Hi @larue_de,

Thanks for writing back.

I apologize for Brenty, this is not the actual error related to your Windows username, that specific issue does not cause 1Password to crash, the symptom would be that you can't open 1Password extension in Chrome but works fine in Firefox and Edge, there are no crashes involved. The dialog you're seeing is the result of one of the 1Password processes crashing. We don't have any known specific crashers but we're addressing crash reports as we get them. We've shipped a new update today with crash fixes and we have another update coming soon, hopefully with a fix for your crash as well if we can get your 1Password diagnostics report.

You can get a refund if you want but we'd love to fix this for you as this is still a beta version that we're updating to fix any unexpected issues.

If you're willing to help us fix this, please send us your 1Password diagnostics report, use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: "1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working" randomly pops up..
  • Hi @larue_de,

Just to let you know, I've split your posts from other thread, so we can work with you directly here.

The 1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working message is just a generic crash dialog, it does not pinpoint to any specific issues, only that something went wrong. That's why we need your diagnostics report to see what did go wrong.

• larue_de
    larue_de
    Community Member

Hi Mike, i wrote you a mail (#SYC-42379-559). Thanks.

• Great, thanks! I'll reply there as soon as possible.

This discussion has been closed.