Why does the Windows beta feel unpolished?

Apple_a_day
Apple_a_day
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I use both the Windows and Mac versions of 1Password and was a beta tester for version 7 on both platforms . I was eager to test 1Password on Windows but feel a little disappointed. I feel like the Windows beta doesn't feel as polished as the Mac version did. It feels sluggish and 'glitchy' in comparison. For instance, unlocking vaults on my Mac is really zippy and the animation is smooth, whereas on Windows there's a noticeable delay and the animation is nowhere near buttery smooth. On the Windows version, sometimes I click on a vault category and it takes a second or two to load whereas on the Mac the category loads instantly. I've also noticed that upon first unlock after boot, if you try to select a category it doesn't load at all (you have to 'activate' the categories by changing to another and then back to your original choice).

I also have a suggestion that, like on the Mac, you can customise how long before Windows Hello is deactivated and your Master Password is required. I would like 1Password to require the Master Password, say, every few hours if 1Password has not been used in that time instead of being permanently 'on' after your first password unlock.

The password generator on Windows also lacks features that have been in the Mac version for a long time. I cannot specify how many special characters or numbers I want in a password.

Do you also have plans to port the new 1Password mini from the Mac to Windows versions? I much prefer having the Spotlight-like window show up front and centre instead of the current Windows 1Password mini.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password membership

Comments

• Hi @Apple_a_day,

Thanks for writing in.

There is no short answer but you can expect 1Password on Windows to keep getting better. The longer version is simply that 1Password 7 on Windows isn't really a 7th version on Windows, this specific version is less than two years old and started from a new codebase with the first release of 1Password 6 back in late Oct of 2016. 1Password on macOS is on top of a mature, optimized codebase (several years old) while we have not yet gone through optimizing our codebase on Windows. Not only that, Apple provides really consistent and solid APIs that makes developing 1Password much easier on macOS compared to Windows.

For an example, the way 1Password mini works like Spotlight, simply doesn't exist on Windows. For us to provide that, it could easily take several months of our full resources to make it work right on all Windows versions we support, including Windows 7, which still holds a large share of market that we can't ignore. Note that we have a separate development team on each platform working on native codebase, there are no porting of any codebase involved.

We're working as fast as we can to improve 1Password on Windows, we've improved a lot in the last year alone and we're going to be shipping a lot of updates soon.

whereas on Windows there's a noticeable delay and the animation is nowhere near buttery smooth.

This is due to that the fact that our animation doesn't start when you press enter but when it fails or passes. This is something we'll fix in a future update, it requires more custom work to make it animate as soon as you unlock.

The password generator on Windows also lacks features that have been in the Mac version for a long time

Technically, the password generator on Windows is the latest standard that everyone is supposed to adapt to, we were the first and fastest to switch to this standard, meaning the macOS version was supposed to change to our style as well. However, based on the feedback, we've decided to halt on that and do a new standard based on what 1Password X is doing. Once we figure it out, we'll update all 1Password apps as well.

On the Windows version, sometimes I click on a vault category and it takes a second or two to load whereas on the Mac the category loads instantly. I've also noticed that upon first unlock after boot, if you try to select a category it doesn't load at all (you have to 'activate' the categories by changing to another and then back to your original choice).

Yep, this will be improved in a future update, we're doing too much of everything at the first launch; updating Watchtower, initializing the database, pulling changes in, decrypting your data, syncing, and more. They're not all separated to be queued yet.

We'll optimize it later as we have other features that need to be implemented first.

I also have a suggestion that, like on the Mac, you can customise how long before Windows Hello is deactivated and your Master Password is required. I would like 1Password to require the Master Password, say, every few hours if 1Password has not been used in that time instead of being permanently 'on' after your first password unlock.

We'll consider it for a future update. However, why not just disable Windows Hello within 1Password and set 1Password to auto-lock in an hour? It's safer this way. 1Password only starts its auto-lock timer after your mouse and keyboard is not used.

• Apple_a_day
    Apple_a_day
    Community Member

For an example, the way 1Password mini works like Spotlight, simply doesn't exist on Windows. For us to provide that, it could easily take several months of our full resources to make it work right on all Windows versions we support, including Windows 7, which still holds a large share of market that we can't ignore. Note that we have a separate development team on each platform working on native codebase, there are no porting of any codebase involved.

It is unfortunate the way Windows works and I have to profess that I know very little, technically, about what is involved. It's just disappointing that the OS doesn't allow you do these things because of such fragmentation.

This is due to that the fact that our animation doesn't start when you press enter but when it fails or passes. This is something we'll fix in a future update, it requires more custom work to make it animate as soon as you unlock.

That's good to know. It's not a major issue but it does affect the 'polish' of the app and it is mildly annoying.

Technically, the password generator on Windows is the latest standard that everyone is supposed to adapt to, we were the first and fastest to switch to this standard, meaning the macOS version was supposed to change to our style as well. However, based on the feedback, we've decided to halt on that and do a new standard based on what 1Password X is doing. Once we figure it out, we'll update all 1Password apps as well.

I have just looked at how 1Password X is doing it and it looks good. I do in fact prefer the UI of the 1Password X to 1Password mini (on Windows) as it's more like how it appears on the Mac, but I have not used it yet (I have no idea if it will conflict with the app and browser extension).

Yep, this will be improved in a future update, we're doing too much of everything at the first launch; updating Watchtower, initializing the database, pulling changes in, decrypting your data, syncing, and more. They're not all separated to be queued yet.

We'll optimize it later as we have other features that need to be implemented first.

Is this going to be in 7.1 and will this become the new beta?

We'll consider it for a future update. However, why not just disable Windows Hello within 1Password and set 1Password to auto-lock in an hour? It's safer this way. 1Password only starts its auto-lock timer after your mouse and keyboard is not used.

I would like a balance between convenience and security. On the Mac I've set it to require the Master Password (Touch ID otherwise) every day since I very rarely leave the machine (it usually goes wherever I go). On the desktop, however, I find myself leaving the machine frequently (sometimes hours at a time) and in my mind it's not as secure as I'd like it. Maybe I'm exaggerating as I'm sure the risk of somebody's matching my fingerprint in five attempts is low, but I'd at least like to feel like my vaults are as secure as they "feel" on my Mac, as the Mac version does already have this feature.

Other than that I did enjoy beta testing 1Password 7. The UI of the main window is great and the new Watchtower features are very handy. I just hope the next beta of 7.1 is close as I'd like to test that as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It is unfortunate the way Windows works and I have to profess that I know very little, technically, about what is involved. It's just disappointing that the OS doesn't allow you do these things because of such fragmentation.

@Apple_a_day: There are pros and cons either way. Depending on the day, you'll see people complaining that macOS kills off old stuff they depended on. Windows is the opposite, and many people appreciate it it because of Microsoft's dedication to backward compatibility (many businesses, for example, won't even consider Macs for this reason). But the flipside is that we can't use only the latest stuff on Windows (which I think would be smoother the way you want) because the majority of users are still running Windows 7. But that may change as more people adopt Windows 10 — if only because they get new computers which won't run anything else. :lol:

That's good to know. It's not a major issue but it does affect the 'polish' of the app and it is mildly annoying.

Oh totally. We'll be polishing it wherever we can. It just doesn't make sense to do a lot of that when there are still things that need to be added, which would necessitate repeating the same work. But we care about this as much — if not more — than you all do, because we use it constantly day to day. :)

I have just looked at how 1Password X is doing it and it looks good. I do in fact prefer the UI of the 1Password X to 1Password mini (on Windows) as it's more like how it appears on the Mac, but I have not used it yet (I have no idea if it will conflict with the app and browser extension).

The cool thing, if you prefer absolutely consistency, is that as a self-contained browser extension, 1Password X works the same across all desktop platforms. It will not conflict. I use both myself. But keep in mind that it functions on its own; it cannot integrate with the desktop apps.

Is this going to be in 7.1 and will this become the new beta?

That's not something we can reveal ahead of time. But if you stay on the beta channel, you'll have access to all of the latest stuff as soon as it's available there publicly. ;)

I would like a balance between convenience and security. On the Mac I've set it to require the Master Password (Touch ID otherwise) every day since I very rarely leave the machine (it usually goes wherever I go). On the desktop, however, I find myself leaving the machine frequently (sometimes hours at a time) and in my mind it's not as secure as I'd like it. Maybe I'm exaggerating as I'm sure the risk of somebody's matching my fingerprint in five attempts is low, but I'd at least like to feel like my vaults are as secure as they "feel" on my Mac, as the Mac version does already have this feature.

There are significant differences in how Windows Hello works compared to Touch ID. I'm sure Microsoft will continue to streamline it in time. For now, this is what we have on Windows though, so I'd suggest following Mike's advice and adjusting your security settings in 1Password, as there is no granular control over Windows Hello.

Other than that I did enjoy beta testing 1Password 7. The UI of the main window is great and the new Watchtower features are very handy. I just hope the next beta of 7.1 is close as I'd like to test that as well.

I can't promise that 7.1 will have everything you want, but we'll get there one step at a time. Thank you for the kind words, and for participating in the beta! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.