Why did 1password fail to mark the correct login?

I was trying to create an account on a new site and I had to try three different browsers before I found one that was compatible with it. As a result, there were a lot of false starts before I finally succeeded in creating an account. I finally created an account using Firefox, and I got a message from 1password asking if I wanted to save the account login, to which I answered yes. However, looking in the 1password application, I see four "generic" login items for that site, but no "verified" login, or whatever the correct term is. Why did 1password fail to mark the correct login and how do I determine which of the four generic logins is the correct one? This kind of mess should be unnecessary with a login manager.

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Sorry for the confusion. Where in the 1Password application are you looking when you see these four generic login items? Are you looking specifically in the Logins vault? I'm just trying to determine whether four login items were created or what you're seeing is a combination of generated password items and login items.

1Password can't determine which information is accurate. That would require some communication between 1Password and the web site in question, and 1Password doesn't talk to the web site, only to your web browser. When you use its password generator to create and fill a password, or enter your username and password on a site and click the login button, 1Password will save that information for you, but it won't know the difference between an incorrect password and a correct password.

For this reason, 1Password's autosave prompt persists even after you log in. You don't have to click the Save button immediately. This enables you to log into a site and make sure that your login credentials are correct before you tell 1Password to save them for you.

I hope that helps clear things up. If you have any other questions, please let us know. It's possible that what you're seeing is a combination of generated password items and a login item; in this case, when you go to log into the site, only the saved login item will be used.
  • Cybernettr
    Cybernettr
    Community Member
    Nik wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. Where in the 1Password application are you looking when you see these four generic login items? Are you looking specifically in the Logins vault? I'm just trying to determine whether four login items were created or what you're seeing is a combination of generated password items and login items.

I type in the website name in the search field with "Everywhere" selected and I see the 4 "generic" login items.

Nik wrote:

1Password can't determine which information is accurate. That would require some communication between 1Password and the web site in question, and 1Password doesn't talk to the web site, only to your web browser. When you use its password generator to create and fill a password, or enter your username and password on a site and click the login button, 1Password will save that information for you, but it won't know the difference between an incorrect password and a correct password.

For this reason, 1Password's autosave prompt persists even after you log in. You don't have to click the Save button immediately. This enables you to log into a site and make sure that your login credentials are correct before you tell 1Password to save them for you.

I believe that I did wait until it was clear that I had managed to successfully log in before I clicked the Save button. That's what made this so annoying. 1Password "saved" (generically) the failed login attempts without prompting, but failed to save the correct login, or at least to mark it as such.

Nik wrote:

I hope that helps clear things up. If you have any other questions, please let us know. It's possible that what you're seeing is a combination of generated password items and a login item; in this case, when you go to log into the site, only the saved login item will be used.

Nope. At the site in question, when I click the 1Password button, it says "No logins saved for this website."
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    1Password always prompts for a name when a login item is automatically created. If you're not seeing any saved logins for the site in question, it sounds like the four items you see saved are generated passwords. My guess is when you open the 1Password application and click on the Logins vault, you will not see these items there. Generated Passwords are the only type of item that 1Password's browser extension will save without prompting you for a name, and it creates this type of item every time you use the password generator to create a password and click the button to fill it in the form.

1Password can sort your data by the modification date. Since it was your last attempt that was successful, I would guess that the most recently created Generated Password item is the one that you want. Please copy this password and fill it in the site's login form. When you click to log in, 1Password will prompt you create a real login item for that site. If it doesn't, please let us know the URL of the login form and we can investigate this further for you.
This discussion has been closed.