I just upgraded to version 7 for Windows and the password strength filtering is gone - want it back!

I just upgraded my stand-alone version of 1Password 4 for Windows to the 1Password 7 for Windows. I like the new design and speed, but it is totally missing one of the best features version 4 had, which is the filtering and sorting of all my passwords by password strength.

Now, you only have a category called "Weak Passwords", but I have no idea what criteria it is using to determine a password is weak.

I really, really, really want the strength meter back so I can sort all my passwords by strength and determine which ones I want to change and upgrade when I want.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:password strength filter

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@oakmario,

It's a bit of work but you can keep both installed. I haven't yet uninstalled 1Password 4 for Windows from my PC. Just be sure to exit 1Password 7 from the SysTray when running 1Password 4.6. And also check to see Native Messaging Host Client is checked in 1Password 4. I keep 1Password 4 around for the all numeric Password Generator option. 1Password 7 doesn't have that yet.

Also restart 1Password Helper from within 1Password 4.

1Password 4 by default uses AgileKeychain and 1Password 7 local vault is OPVault.

When you want to revert back to tPassword 7, go to TaskManager and end Agile1PAgent.exe Also, quit 1Password 4 from SysTray before starting 1Password 7.

• oakmario
    oakmario
    Community Member

Thanks for the info wkleem. While that's all nice and interesting, I have already completely uninstalled 1Password 4 and I don't want to be running both versions.

I wanted the 1Password team to chime in and explain why those features have disappeared. I didn't even notice the password generator option to only use numbers. That's also a useful feature.

I sure hope we get these added back soon, otherwise I will seriously think about looking at a competitor product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@oakmario: I don't share wkleem 's enthusiasm for running multiple versions myself. ;)

I guess the question I have for you though is, why does the specific criteria matter? Whether a password is weak because it's short, human-created, or some combination of factors, the point of 1Password flagging "Weak Passwords" is to point out that it can make a strong one for you instead.

You may want to try the beta, or wait to get 7.1 automatically when it's released to check out the new Watchtower. Among other things, it also breaks out "Vulnerable Passwords" (along with "Compromised Logins" and "Reused Passwords"), for cases where the actual password used in a login is know as part of password dumps from website breaches. That's an even better place to start with regard to making some changes. Interested to hear what you think when you try it. :)

• jbs
    jbs
    Community Member

@brenty Do any of the Watchtower features require syncing to a 1Password.com account or will they all work equally well with Dropbox and a license? I thought I remembered reading that the https://haveibeenpwned.com/ lookup only worked via the 1password.com membership data, but perhaps I am misremembering (since @oakmario is also a Dropbox user). Thanks!

• oakmario
    oakmario
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty. I agree that flagging "Weak Passwords" is great and the new Watchtower features sound good too, I would like to know what criteria someone has used to determine a password is weak. Otherwise, the transparency is lost and the user doesn't have control. For example, some websites might have weak password restrictions to begin with and I can't even put in a 1Password determined "strong" password if I wanted to.

Anyway, I used that feature frequently in 1Password4, so I'm definitely missing it now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jbs: What you're thinking of it that Watchtower in the 1Password.com web interface requires a 1Password.com account. Watchtower works with local vaults too, as always. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @brenty. I agree that flagging "Weak Passwords" is great and the new Watchtower features sound good too, I would like to know what criteria someone has used to determine a password is weak. Otherwise, the transparency is lost and the user doesn't have control. For example, some websites might have weak password restrictions to begin with and I can't even put in a 1Password determined "strong" password if I wanted to. Anyway, I used that feature frequently in 1Password4, so I'm definitely missing it now.

@oakmario: I guess the part I don't understand is why it matters if a password is "weak" because it's short or you created it yourself. That's not a knock against you: passwords I create myself are weak too! Humans are incapable of randomness. But if you use 1Password to generate a long, random password, you can have a strong one. Trying to list the specific reason (which will often be a combination of factors) that a password is considered weak and present that in the UI would result in clutter and distracts from the whole purpose of pointing out that it's weak in the first place: so you can change the password and make it stronger.

• Thyresias
    Thyresias
    Community Member

Hello,
    I'm using this thread, as my problem is similar, although not exactly the same: in 1Password 4, I used the display of password strength to check the strength of passwords I created myself. It was easy: create a new password, then overwrite the generated one with the one you want, and check the strength meter. Now I can't see any strength meter anywhere, while it seems available on Mac (https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/05/22/1password-7-for-mac-the-best-ever/ and maybe https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/02/how-1password-calculates-password-strength/). So
    1) if I select new item > password, how do I check the strength of the created password?
    2) how do I see the strength of existing passwords, be them in "logins" or "passwords"?
    Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Thyresias: Sorry for the confusion there. The password strength meter is being redesigned, so it will be added to the new Windows app once that is complete. In the mean time, Watchtower will give you a list of weak passwords, etc.

• ekontrec
    ekontrec
    Community Member

I agree with OP on this one, I too am missing the password strength meter on every login I have as well as the ability to sort items by password strength.

This functionality still remains on MacOS, so please, this is a +1 on this request from me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Thanks for letting us know. It's not something that's requested often, but it's on our list. :)

ref: opw/opw#1458

This discussion has been closed.