1Password 4 shows two separate names in the titlebar

This discussion was created from comments split from: Licensed but not a membership-How do I install on New PC.

Comments

• Rharney
    Rharney
    Community Member

Hey Mike,
    I do have a question. I now have 1Password 4 loaded onto two separate PC's.

The first PC (which I will discontinue use in the near future) says simply "1Password" at the top left when I open. Also, prior to unlocking (entering my master password), the text above where I enter says "Your 1Password Vault is locked".

The second PC, I will be keeping for a long time. At the top left, the screens says "1Password - 1 Password 2). Prior to unlocking this PC, the text reads "Your 1Password 2 Vault is locked.

I keep the same info on each screen, and I believe although I am not 100% sure, I have sync'd my iphone to each computer and the info is all the same.

My question is: Does 1Password treat the second PC as the second vault, even though all my info is identical? If this is true, when I remove 1Password in the near future on the first PC, will my second PC then only show the primary vault? If not, how can I change to indicate that? Thanks again

• HI @Rharney,

Thanks for writing in. I've split your post into its own thread and moved it to 1Password 4 forum, so we can help you directly.

Are you using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync?

The second PC, I will be keeping for a long time. At the top left, the screens says "1Password - 1 Password 2). Prior to unlocking this PC, the text reads "Your 1Password 2 Vault is locked.

That is a hint that it is not looking at the same vault. Both PCs should be looking at the same 1Password.opvault folder. What this shows is that 1Password on the second PC is looking at 1Password 2.opvault.

Please double check to make sure they both are looking at the same directory;

1. Open 1Password 4 and unlock on both computers
    2. Click on Preferences on the toolbar or go to the File Menu > Preferences
    3. In the General tab, you should see the directory 1Password is looking at next to the 1Password Vault like so:

Make sure both 1Password 4 are showing the same path, they should not be different at all.

If they are different, then click Choose Another to select the first vault.

If this is true, when I remove 1Password in the near future on the first PC, will my second PC then only show the primary vault

No, removing 1Password 4 doesn't remove your data, it'll be left alone on the drive. Make sure you do a backup and then format the drive securely before you get rid of the first PC.

On the second PC, nothing changes. You most likely are looking at a different directory and hopefully, we'll have you looking at the right directory.

• Rharney
    Rharney
    Community Member

Mike, every time I do something with 1 Password now (or Edge), I get this pop up? How can I stop this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Rharney: Normally I'd say disable Edge as the default browser. When it is set as the default, Windows launches it on startup, and Edge launches the 1Password extension, which shows that window if it cannot connect to 1Password yet.

However, if you're running 1Password 4, that cant work with Edge anyway, so I'd suggest removing the 1Password extension from Edge instead, until such time as you upgrade to 1Password 7, either by purchasing a license or with a 1Password.com membership. 1Password 4 cannot work with Edge, as it predates it by many years.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Rharney
    Rharney
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. I removed the extension and I no longer have an issue.. Have a great day!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Glad that helped. Enjoy your week! We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.