Contents of a Secure Note become duplicated

Options
markv
markv
Community Member
edited June 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've had this many, many times, but can't identify exactly what causes it.

The symptoms are that I open and examine a secure note and find the contents appear twice, seperated by a line of 3 equals signs. e.g. I start off with a secure note that reads:
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3

...after something happens, and absolutely definitely not me copy/pasting twice, I later open that note and find.

Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
( line containing just three '=' characters. I can't just type those characters as they get interpreted as 'make this line bold)
Line 1
Line 2
Line 3

It is always a line of === that seperates the 2 copies.
I have 1P on 2 Windows devices and an iPad. Editing is done using the Windows app.

With long Secure Notes, one may not notice the duplication for some time, and after many edits. That makes for a ton of work to un-duplicate :-(

TIA
Mark

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: W10 Ent X64
Sync Type: Default (1P server?)

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @markv,

Thanks for reporting this.

That's the result of a sync conflict resolution. Normally in other items, we add conflicting data to the Conflicts section but for Secure Notes, it's difficult because of the way it is designed. In this case, we merge the conflicting data after ==== headers. We probably should add ====Conflicting data in there.

Basically, what happened is that 1Password tries to upload your changes but it detected an older change on the other side that it doesn't have. In order to avoid losing data, it downloads that data, merge into the local copy and upload a newer version.

You can use Item History to undo some of the changes on 1Password.com web app: https://support.1password.com/item-history/

• markv
    markv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

Ahhhhhh, most interesting - TVM for your response.

I'm continually getting the same problem with the same Secure Note. I haven't edited it for many weeks until today, when the duplication happened again (several times).

The account is present on a W10 laptop, a W10 desktop and an iPad. All are regularly used, and with Internet connection, so what could cause 1P to think there was an older change that hadn't been synchronised?

This has been happening for many months, so perhaps 1P has an (incorrect) flag against this Secure Note that isn't ever going to be resolved.

Is there a way I can tell 1P to cease this and accept a particular version of the Secure Note as definitive?

Best regards,
    Mark

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @markv,

Let's start by getting a diagnostics report, it should tell us why it is conflicting and if it is "looping", which could indicate there's a problem that can't be solved by forcing it. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

so what could cause 1P to think there was an older change that hadn't been synchronised?

If you look at the Item history on that item, it may give you a clue why or where you've changed it before.

It was synchronized, it was on the 1Password.com web app. 1Password.com is the truth, it shows the latest version available that all clients must be in sync with. The problem is that your PC has not yet synced to pull that data before you made that change.

Is there a way I can tell 1P to cease this and accept a particular version of the Secure Note as definitive?

Simply edit/save, local current changes are considered definitive unless there's something really wrong with the way it was saved.

• markv
    markv
    Community Member
    Options

Sent the report as instructed and have received confirmation of receipt.

Item History didn't tell me anything useful.

It's currently duplicated itself again. Strange thing is all the edits are being done from the same single device. It's not as though I'm editing on 2 different devices, so why sync should be the problem is a mystery.

I un-duplicate. Fine.
    Do some edits. Seems fine.
    Next time I look, it's duplicated again.

Looking at the 2 copies of the data, the top one is the latest. The bottom copy lacks just the final edit as far as I can see.

The note in question is several pages long, but that's only a few kb so surely that isn't the problem.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @markv,

I don't see the email from you with your forum's email address, did you sent it from that email address?

If not, can you tell me the support ID# from the automatic reply, so I can use it to find your email.

Thanks!

• markv
    markv
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi @MikeT

ID#RKW-72698-425

Been editing same SN today and watching it like a hawk. So far it hasn't duplicated so I sort of thought one of you guys had done something.

• MikeT
    Options

Found it, thanks!

ref: RKW-72698-425

This discussion has been closed.