Lost Access to all 3 devices today and Dropbox shows deleted a JS file it deemed a conflicted cpy

Options

This morning on my PC my master password was rejected. It was rejected on my MAC air and on my iOS device when I stupidly stopped using the thumbprint log in to test access there. The IOS did work on thumbprint for access but when I chose to type in the password it failed and now I don't have access to that device.
I know the master password is correct and I've checked it by typing it in notepad and cut and pasting into 1 Pass.

I looked at Dropbox sync files and initially saw really old dates on the folders (2015) - that freaked me out and I happen to look in Dropbox's deleted files and saw this https://www.screencast.com/t/v8Yo9yyG which appears the JS file was deleted 15 min before the problems started... I dug into drop box folders a bit more and I see current dates on the of the data files.

I"ve tried to restore from backups on my PC but the Master PW is still rejected. I tried older backup copies and I'm still getting rejected... I tried my old master PW and it is rejected also.

HELP !!! my life it contained in 1Password !!!!

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 7
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @coolblueinpain,

Thanks for writing in, we'll help you with this.

First, do not do something without going through it with us, let's take a step back first as some people would panic and delete something that do more damage to their data.

You didn't change your password recently on any of your 1Password devices?

The file that was deleted on Dropbox in your screenshot is normal, it's a sync conflict copy and 1Password on your macOS or iOS deleted it after resolving it automatically for you. It is not an encryption file nor does it affect your encryption keys either.

Did you change your keyboard settings or anything like that?

Try going through the steps here in our support guide that often helped in the past: https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

• coolblueinpain
    coolblueinpain
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MikeT ... I am freaking out as you rightly noticed. I guess I needed to start here on this Forum 1st..

No - I didn't change passwords on any of the 3 devices. I did that about 5 months ago and they changed on all 3 devices.

no changes to my PC keyboard and I've checked the caps lock

Going through the Support link for "forgot master password" ... I did actually try the step of using my master password without spaces.. and that worked. SUCCESS ... So I guess I need to get cleaned up and figure out what needs a repair. Are spaces in a master pw bad ?

I'd also like to figure out if there are better options for me with 1 password ... is Dropbox still the main sync method ?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @coolblueinpain,

I'm glad to hear that!

Are spaces in a master pw bad ?

No, they're fine. We often recommend it to set up a long pass phrase (hess peerless slater deploy) rather than a complicated string of random characters (T]bAho9CtZsynZzP)

We added that tip to the guide because some people never realized they added a space at the end (typing habit, like I often type space after a period subconsciously) or using a passphrase with spaces but in a state of panic, were trying without spaces or vis versa.

I'd also like to figure out if there are better options for me with 1 password ... is Dropbox still the main sync method ?

It depends on what you mean by "better". Since you're using Windows, there are only two supported sync options in the latest version of 1Password for Windows: 1Password membership or Dropbox. We, of course, recommend our own, 1Password memberships. You can read this to see why: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

• coolblueinpain
    coolblueinpain
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

hi Mike T, I guess I'll review the options and consider moving over to a membership but 1st can we determine what happened with my file? The only master password option that works for me is my current password with NO spaces. I tried adding a space to the end in case that was the problem but it didn't work. So what I currently experience..... is my master password works with no spaces but with spaces as I used it for the last 5 months doesn't work on my Mac and PC devices. Do I simply need to reset the master password again... something seems wrong and it does concern me. If I should simply reset my master PW, and just move on ?

I'll look up how to do that in FAQ or you might have a quick link. I'd like to solve this 1st before considering the move to memberships.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @coolblueinpain,

but 1st can we determine what happened with my file?

If you're talking about that specific file in Dropbox, that file has nothing to do with the encryption in general. Contents.js is a file used as a performance method to speed up the loading of your database for the older Agile Keychain vaults. You can delete it any time and it will not affect anything except the slow initial loading after you unlock and 1Password will simply rebuild that file to optimize it.

The only master password option that works for me is my current password with NO spaces. I tried adding a space to the end in case that was the problem but it didn't work. So what I currently experience..... is my master password works with no spaces but with spaces as I used it for the last 5 months doesn't work on my Mac and PC devices.

That is odd but your master password cannot be changed without knowing the original password. In other words, before anything can change, you have to unlock with the original password and then enter to change your password.

The only way this would be a factor is if your keyboard/input regional language or its settings have changed and the way it interpret spaces broke something on your other devices. Each platform has a different way of inputting your characters but they normalize based on the known Unicode standard, 1Password uses this standard to normalize your passwords to make sure you can enter it the same way everywhere.

f I should simply reset my master PW, and just move on ?

I would suggest trying that, change your master password to not include spaces and see if it works everywhere. Note that you have to wait for Dropbox to finish syncing and you may have to unlock with the old password on your iOS/Android devices (because they can't sync while locked, so old password to unlock, sync and then unlock with new password).

• coolblueinpain
    coolblueinpain
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Mike - so here you are saying - that my master password never had spaces in it. I find that almost impossible to belive...

That is odd but your master password cannot be changed without knowing the original password. In other words, before anything can change, you have to unlock with the original password and then enter to change your password.

The only way this would be a factor is if your keyboard/input regional language or its settings have changed and the way it interpret spaces broke something on your other devices. Each platform has a different way of inputting your characters but they normalize based on the known Unicode standard, 1Password uses this standard to normalize your passwords to make sure you can enter it the same way everywhere.

I'm going to reset it and see what happens.

• MikeT
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @coolblueinpain,

that my master password never had spaces in it.

No, I'm saying that the master passwords cannot be changed on their own, it requires someone to know the original password to change it. This is unlikely since you are able to unlock the vault unless that vault is the backup vault and you weren't able to unlock the original vault still.

Is the backup vault what macOS/iOS version are using too? It is entirely possible to have different master passwords for old backups or backups of different vaults.

• coolblueinpain
    coolblueinpain
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not using a back up I'm hitting the same valut I always used in dropbox. https://www.screencast.com/t/dMRljLvt

I guess I'm ready to let go and move on. I'll work on a switch from Dropbox to membership as that looks like it is better solution that is also allows me device free access should I just need Passwords from 1pass using a web browser.

I'm just on record as a little freaked out that on July 3 my master password would only work without spaces. I'm assuming you guys don't belive that or the 1% chance that I somehow managed to never type it with spaces for months and months... Either way I've made extensive backups to lock up in my home safe and I've even printed a copy of what my master PW is for the safe.

• MikeT
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @coolblueinpain,

We do understand that feeling and your plans to back up your data for your safe is a great idea. As for what happened, we're only working with limited amount of information. Without going through all of your devices, its 1Password setups and so on, we can't be sure what could've happened.

We have not heard of this specific issue before with spaces in the master password. 1Password can fall back to trim spaces at the end to see if it works but it doesn't change it. Basically, if you enter with space at the end by accident, 1Password will try with space and if it fails, trim the ending space to see if it works and then it unlocks.

This discussion has been closed.