1Password 7 doesn't ask for 2FA when opening [Have to unlock first for sync]

Options
joerg_brueggemann
joerg_brueggemann
Community Member
edited July 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Maybe I am mistaken. But activated the 2FA, so that anyone with (unauthorized) access to my PC and my password, still couldn't get into my vault. But when I open the app, it only asks for my master password. The 2FA is only prompted when loggin into the website.

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win7x32
Sync Type: default?

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @joerg_brueggemann,

Thanks for writing in.

That's not what 2FA is for, it does not mean that once you authorize the device, it prevents anyone from using it. What it does is prevent people from signing in to your 1Password account on new unauthorized devices that you have no access to.

If you've just enabled 2FA right now, you have to unlock 1Password with your master password first (since it was already authorized before), so 1Password can start its sync, and once it does, it'll ask for your 2FA token. 2FA is for authenticating your 1Password account on that device against our service.

After that, it will not ask for your 2FA token again until you de-authorize or reset the 2FA token on the device from your 1Password.com site.

We have more details here: https://support.1password.com/two-factor-authentication/

• joerg_brueggemann
    joerg_brueggemann
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    Is there any hope, that I can use 2FA on every vault-opening in the future?
    Or could I use a hardware token instead of my master password? Anything else than just the master password to access my vault(s)?

• MikeT
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi @joerg_brueggemann,

At this moment, no. It may be something we do in the future but we can't confirm anything for right now.

• joerg_brueggemann
    joerg_brueggemann
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks anyway. have a nice day. :)

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome and you have a great day too!

This discussion has been closed.