Feedback on Firefox extension

Options

I am setting up my family to use 1password.
In the process I am encountering a few hiccups, this is one type of them.

Latest 1password for windows (both 7 and 10) installed, latest version of the FF plugin in use, logged into 1password.

1. people with multiple Gmail accounts have issues. 1password will not recognize that a login happened if one logs out of one account and logs in the second. Multiple tries, and the second account is never recognized by 1password, forcing manual entry.
  2. same group as above. when logging in, 1password will not automatically paste the password, forcing the manual use of the clipboard
  3. 1password will not always (actually, never so far) recognize that a google password was modified, and retains the old one

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Federico: What do you mean by "1password will not recognize that a login happened"? As for the rest, please tell me the exact Firefox and Windows versions you're using, the URL, and the steps you're taking when you run into the issues with filling and saving so we can test it and offer a solution. Thanks in advance!

• Federico
    Federico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty sorry for the lack of details.
    I am also helping my family members remotely (a few hundreds kilometers separate us) so my fuzzyness is due to me not seeing what exactly they are doing and having to rely on their descriptions.

What do you mean by "1password will not recognize that a login happened"?

Some family members have multiple Google accounts, not linked.
    If they follow the normal Google login procedure (click on desired account from list, enter password) 1password does not ask to memorize the login details UNLESS the login the first thing that happens after booting Firefox. (logging into account A, logging off and logging into account B will not prompt to save the details of account B ).
    One of them reports that after saving the details for A into 1password, they are never prompted to save account B. I am planning to have a phone conversation with them in the next hours.

please tell me the exact Firefox and Windows

Windows 10, FF61

the URL

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin [the version with multiple logins listed, where you can click them]

the steps you're taking when you run into the issues with filling

saving I described above, so here I will list only filling.

Again, this is not a problem I am directly encountering, I have only 1 Google account.
    Having saved login details for account A, they proceed clicking on the name of account A, then they click on the 1password icon in the browser (1password was already logged in), select account A from the safe, but the password is not pasted.
    I do not encounter this problem, but I click on the account in the safe 1 step earlier, as I am not presented with a list of accounts on which to click.

Once again, sorry if details are lacking. Let me know if I can provide anything else to help you debug this.
    Thank you for the help and support!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Federico,

Thanks for writing in.

That's interesting. I am not able to reproduce it. Once I signed out and add some random data, 1Password did prompt to save it.

Are they using Firefox's built-in password manager by any chance? It is possible that if Firefox filled the details in first, 1Password may not detect there's a new login item to be saved.

• Federico
    Federico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT
    thank you for answering.
    No, I did not teach them how to use the FF built-in password manager, so I exclude that. They also never mentioned it and in the short videocall I had with one of them, they did not appear to be using it.
    Please note that this is not happening when one types both username and password, as they only ever type the password, as mentioned.
    The username is inserted by Google themselves (through the mouse click). If I understood correctly your test, you manually typed both fields. I also never had problems when typing both fields.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Federico,

I've just tried that, 1Password prompts to "update" for me even when I manually typed the password without the username.

I'm not sure what this could be. Are they only seeing this on Google sites, any other sites showing the same problem?

• Federico
    Federico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT
    I am at a loss too.
    I spoke with one of them again. I guided them through the procedure in an incognito window. They logged in succesfully, but that account is still not picked up by 1password.
    They claim that the other 3 accounts they have have instead worked fine.
    They have only ABP as other extensions and yes, they see this only on Gmail, but they do not have a large internet footprint, so this statement has limited value.
    I suggested them to enter this discussion and contact you directly, but right now I have run out of possible explanations.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Federico: Thanks for the update. I'm not able to reproduce this either, but I do seem to recall seeing a different looking Google login page recently. Not seeing it now though. I wonder if they're testing something new. I'll keep an eye out, and if you're able to discover anything else please let me know.

• Federico
    Federico
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Brenty
    I have just created a second account and I am able to replicate the issue, so I can do some tests if you need me to.

The "servicelogin" redirects me here: https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/sl/pwd?flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin

I log in successfully, but 1password does not prompt me to save the account.

Note: the password is already in the vault, because apparently using the "generate password" procedure automatically saves it, but not together with the account name, making its use a bit cumbersome.

Note2: I have plenty of duplicates in the vault I see now. Every time I generate a password it gets saved once in the account and once "stand alone"

Could this explain the behaviour?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Federico,

Note2: I have plenty of duplicates in the vault I see now. Every time I generate a password it gets saved once in the account and once "stand alone"

Every time you use the Strong Password Generator, a copy of the new password is saved as a safety net in your Passwords category. This is in case you're trying to update an existing Login item but 1Password doesn't prompt to update it, so you need access to this new password that won't be in your Login item or you'd be locked out of your account.

In a future update, there will be an automatic cleanup tool to remove redundant items, so if 1Password updates a Login item and finds a password item that has the same password and website combination, it'll remove the password item.

That's odd, I can reproduce it every one out of four attempts on that page. It also looks slightly different from the page I got.

We'll investigate it, thanks for the URL.

This discussion has been closed.