Is there a version for MS Windows Terminalserver?

Options

I've tried the latest version for Windows (7.1.567) on Windows Server 2008 R2 with Terminalserver Role but the app crashes every time.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 1.567
OS Version: Windows Server 2008 R2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Terminalserver

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JCHNF,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password requires .NET 4.6.2 or later installed, it should've inform you of that requirement when you first install it.

If you're using Windows Server 2008, it doesn't come with .NET 4.6.1. Please try installing .NET 4.7.2 here and see if that'll fix the issue for you: https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/thank-you/net472

• mn_salfer
    mn_salfer
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, we would like to use 1Password on our terminal server (Server 2016). Do I have to pay attention to anything? Is 1Password designed for operation on a terminal server?

• @mn_salfer: Shouldn't need to pay attention to anything on Server 2016. Server 2016 appears to come with .NET 4.6.2 which is sufficient, so 1Password should work fine out of the box. 👍 Of course, we're here if you run into any trouble. 🙂

• mn_salfer
    mn_salfer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate
    unfortunately it is not as easy as I thought...

I installed 1Password on our terminal server this morning (change user /install & change user /execute) the installation was done under the administrator account. Since 1P installed itself under APPDATA of the user, another user of course has no access. What is the recommendation here? My terminal server users of course have no rights to install programs.

• Hi @mn_salfer,

I don't know what you mean by user/install user/execute, these commands are not supported.

1Password doesn't require admin rights, which mean your users do not need any rights to install 1Password. It'll install directly into their %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password directory. You'll have to run the tool with their user context in their account.

We do not have an installer that installs to all users. It's a user-only installer.

If you want to deploy 1Password to your users, you can use your deployment tools to create your own installation method as 1Password is self-contained into its own app folder, meaning you can just xcopy it to the same location for everyone and once everyone start it, 1Password will create the data folder and repair any registry changes needed.

If you need more assistance, please reach out to us at support+windows@1Password.com with the link to this thread included.

• mn_salfer
    mn_salfer
    Community Member
    Options

I meant with my commands - to put the terminalserver in the installation mode and in the execution mode. These commands are needed for multiple user applications. But I didn't realize that 1P would install itself this way - and run from the profile alone. I will test tomorrow if the user can install it himself. That would be great! Thanks @MikeT for your detailed answer !

• You're welcome! Let us know how it turns out for you.

• Hi @mn_salfer,

I forgot one thing, you have to run 1Password.exe /setup once, this will create the start menu shortcut and registry entries for the browser extension support .

• mn_salfer
    mn_salfer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,
    Thanks for your tips - the installation actually works directly from the user session. The APP setup also works - I have access to our vault. Unfortunately I get the following error when installing the Chrome extension.

I was able to install the Firefox extension without any problems.

• mn_salfer
    mn_salfer
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again, I have solved the error myself. It occurs because there is no C:\TEMP\USERNAME...
    I wrote a small script which creates this directory at the LOGON on the terminal server.

mkdir C:\Temp\%USERNAME%
    setx TEMP C:\Temp\%USERNAME%
    setx TMP C:\Temp\%USERNAME%

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, that would be a Chrome error, presumably because it couldn't access the temp data to install the extension. Not sure why the temp folder was missing, but glad to hear you were able to work around it. :)

This discussion has been closed.