installing internet explorer extension

Options

I have to use Internet Explorer to access a web site. As I use a Mac normally and Explorer does not run on a Mac, this is inconvenient. I have obtained a Windows Laptop dedicated to just running Explorer for this purpose. I am trying to install 1Password 7 Explorer extensions on that laptop. I can not do so because every way I try to find 1Password 7 Explorer extensions, be it via Googling for Explorer extensions or via 1Password "preferences->browsers", I can not get to Explorer extensions, instead I can only access "Google Chrome" extensions. I have deleted all other Browsers. My best guess is that "Google Chrome" is the default extension and that Internet Explorer is no longer supported. In that case, is there any way to get access to an unsupported extension with the understanding that I know it might not work and I will not ask questions or for any other support for it?

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: this is the problem
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:installing internet explorer extension

Comments

• jlawhead
    jlawhead
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. It appears only 1PW7 supports accounts, but it only has an extension for MS Edge and not IE 11. 1PW4 supports IE 11, but not 1PW accounts. Very frustrating.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @fkittredge and @jlawhead, thank you for getting in touch.

There is no 1Password 7 browser extension for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer doesn't have a modern web extension APIs, we can't reuse our extension code easily like we can for Chrome, Firefox, or other browsers. Moreover, it seems that Microsoft itself is focused on Microsoft Edge now and planning to phase out Internet Explorer sooner rather than later. 1Password extension is available in Microsoft Edge:

We have recently released 1Password extension for Microsoft Edge and it is currently in beta:

1Password living on the [Microsoft] Edge

As for Internet Explorer, I can suggest you to use the following workaround:

1) Open 1Password mini by pressing Ctrl+Alt+\ on your keyboard.
    2) Find the item you need there and right-click on it.
    3) Choose what you want to copy to clipboard (username or password)
    4) Paste it in IE.

Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.