my sites are not fixed

Gilles9
Gilles9
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

If this is a release candidate, i'll have to pass

It seems my initial posting is bury deap under all the problems related here
but in any case none of these sites are fixed for filling correctly

https://www.cdbn.ca/pcis/login.jsp?url=/.do and https://www.tangerine.ca and https://bvi.bnc.ca/

initial posting was named: Problems with Passwords filling (July 7th)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Gilles,

You're right, we have not fixed these sites yet. We made a lot of changes under the hood to our filling logic and while we've managed to improve in many areas, there have been some issues on some sites like these.

These sites you listed have been troublesome for a long time now. I remember working on them with you years ago and in fact I still have the test logins in my account. 🙂 The way I got these to work (and I believe Jamie and others fixed them again later) was to do some acrobatics that we no longer want to perform. It's not ideal but given that these situations are limited to sites that use special javascript on their password fields and clicking the password field after filling triggers the websites to update the filled value, it wasn't deemed critical enough to stop the release of 7.1.

We'll keep on working on things and hopefully we'll find a way to have our cake and eat it, too.

++dave;

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Thanks, I'll wait
    but they have been working for quite a while, yes I do remember so problems long time ago

• Thanks for your understanding, Gilles.

In terms of elapsed time, I agree it's been quite a while. In terms of focused effort on this specific issue, however, I haven't had as much time as I would like. I wasn't too happy after responding to you last night so I spent a few hours working on this and I quickly remembered why these particular sites frustrated me so much years ago. Suffice it to say, they haven't changed much since then. 🙂

Website form filling has always been a "two steps forward, one step backwards" kind of thing. We're quite excited about several of the improvements we've been able to make, but indeed there were some casualties along the way. I'm hopeful we can get these working as flawlessly as they were before.

++dave;

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

:)

• :+1: :)

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

OK I fixed the Tangerine.ca site by "save new login" and update the login I have, now password fills

For the two other sites, bvi.bnc.ca and cdbn.ca, as said the password is filling but invisible,

the cursor get in the ID field for bvi.bnc.ca, so I can press enter to login ( since auto submit is out for 1P )

for the CDBN.CA site the cursor does not get in the field, if at least it did.... it would be lesser pain

this is with 7.2beta 1

• @Gilles9,

I've updated the issue tracker with your latest feedback for the filling behavior on these sites.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Thanks

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@dteare and al

with your "final release" of 7.2 the sites I mentionned are still not working
    still OK with 7.0.7 but not with all the subsequent updates ( betas and public )

What ever happened to the 1Password "Brain" that is supposed to be enhanced

• It is still being improved. We have a lot of big changes still to come which should help with filling in general and hopefully with these sites specifically. :+1:

Ben

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Hello

I bring it back as 7.2.3 beta did not fix anything
    I was told do not expect filling to be fixed in 7.2.2
    so I waited, ( note still using 7.0.7 on my production Mac because of this )

any idea if it is the plan to fix filling issues with this latest beta

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have any news for those specific websites. There's a whole internet out there, and we need to focus on changes that help the greatest number of 1Password users. We haven't forgotten about you though, and perhaps we'll find a solution for those in the future as well.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Hummm
    It used to be faster than this to fix a problem with filling, you should look at the date when it was filed as a problem as well

anyway, the only thing that seems missing is that the cursor does not end up in the password field
    if I press tab to get the cursor from the ID t the password field, passowrd shows "dot" bullets and pressing enter works

(that is the same for both sites mentionned)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That doesn't make any sense. I remember August. It wasn't that long ago. Anyway, there are many long-standing issues with sites that are, given the current state of technology, not solvable problems. And some are fairly straightforward. It depends on the specific site and how it's coded. We also tend to prioritize work on things that help the most people. I'm sorry that in this case all of that results in us not having a solution for your particular issues at this time, but perhaps we will be able to find a way to improve 1Password for these specific sites in the future.

• Good morning @Gilles9. You’re right, we haven’t be able to make changes to the filling brain in 1Password for Mac as quickly as we’d like. We are just finishing up a transition that I’m hopeful will bring some improvements to your filling experience and will help us move faster on fixes in the future.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Thanks MrRooni

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Even if I read in the beta 5 notes : "Updated to the new filling code which should greatly improve filling on certain sites"

neither of the sites mentionned in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94799/feedback-for-7-1beta4-my-sites-are-not-fixed#latest
    is fixed

to the contrary it got worst, it used to fill but not showing it was filled, now it just does NOT fill

Really do not know what you mean by "new filling code" but it certainly not getting better

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Gilles9,

You are correct, it does look like filling has degraded for the two banks Banque Nationale Courtage direct and Banque Nationale en ligne. In both cases it does appear to be the same issue, both sites use a text field laid on top of the password field and the site switches them around as focus changes and characters are entered. This was common before the availability of the placeholder attribute, a way of specifying text that should appear in a field when the field is otherwise empty. I can only assume the banks in question are using this to try and hinder automated filling because both sites actually use the placeholder attribute on the real password field.

Dave has nudged certain people and we will look into what can be done with the current filling approaches. I also tested both Safari and Chrome and noted that they both struggled with this design. The ideal outcome would really be for better practices for the page.

If you still wish to use the betas and help keep us straight then until we can investigate and see what can be done there is a hack, a workaround that will help with the current 7.2.3 beta. In both sites when the page first loads the username has focus. If you either tab to the password field or click on it and then fill it does see the older but still broken behaviour, that is to say the password field will fill but it won't appear to be filled. Clicking on it again will show the presence of a password. This is not ideal, I'm only offering it as a way to work with the current beta given the alternative is either to revert to a stable or copy and paste the password.

ref: xplatform/brain#52

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

"we will look into what can be done with the current filling approaches"

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

But stop creating new threads all the time. You're welcome to update one of the many you've already created for your request for improvements with these specific websites. That way if and when there's a new development in this area, it will be easy for you to be notified. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Merged in a single thread so any further developments can be easily exchanged. Cheers! :)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

This website https://www.cdbn.ca/pcis/login.jsp?url=/.do
    has a signin at the first page, which requires an email address
    then it goes to a second page for entering the password

all worked fine before, even in 1P version 7.2.2 ( alt least maybe worked in 7.2.3), with a single Login entry in 1P
    Now I need two logins entry in 1P , one for the email, and a different one for the password
    I have tried recreating the login, without success ( niether updating the actual login did not work )

1Password Version: 7.2.5beta0
    Extension Version: 7.2.5beta0
    OS Version: 10.14

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Our bug report for cdbn.ca is still open and the developers know this requires attention. That is all I unfortunately have for the moment.

I can appreciate that you are frustrated but can we please keep the conversation to a single thread if only so that whoever responds knows there is a history. A new thread invites confusion and potentially repetition if somebody doesn't know the background.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables

I am sorry, I included a wrong link for the problem site
    in my post January 10th
    it is a different issue this is why I started a new thread
    the site I have problem as explained above in my post of January 10th
    is https://www.adminplus.info/adminplus.htm, on the password page
    it is a new issue, hence the new thread

sorry for the confusion

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9

Based on my testing here I am afraid there's not a ton we can do for this one... If I goto that page, click on ACCÈS EMPLOYÉ(S) then type something in there and save it using 1Password it fills fine. However I am unable to get past this page because I don't have a valid account. If I can't get past this without a valid account then I am not able to test the password page. If we can't test it we can't understand what is breaking and how to fix it. This is a problem with sites that provide username on one page and password on the other. It does prevent us from being able to see the whole process and makes it incredibly difficult to fix if something goes wrong.

The other issue is that when we fix logins, my understanding is we create tests that get run to confirm we haven't broken it again with other changes in the future. If we can't automate this process due to not having a valid account we can make no guarantees that future changes won't break the site.

I'm explaining this as a way to try to give you information that explains why this type of site is problematic for us, so hopefully you can see why we are unlikely to be able to fix that particular site.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

@AGKyle
    Well the first page requires an email address, which brings you to the second page where the password needs to be entered, as yu noticed

if you use the email address in my profile ( which I believe you have access ) it will bring you to the second page
    of course if I create a new Login for the password page it does work
    but I used to use the same Login, which would first enter my emil on the first page and the same login was entering the password on the second page (using my fill login shortcut)
    it has always worked like that, just got broken for whatever reason, the site itself has not changed a bit for years, so it has to be 1P

if you can give it a try

Thanks

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9

• Create a new login in the main app
    • Enter your email and password into the top
    • Click Save
    • Click Edit again
    • Click "View Saved Form Details
    • Note that each key/value pair there for instance: username/, password/
    • Edit the "username" portion to say "A3"
    • Edit the "password portion to say "A4"
    • Save

Now fill on each page, it should work.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Thanks @AGKyle
    That worked, don't know the rational for A3 and A4
    but it now works

would this work on other sites I have problems with filling ( as the one mentionned above by @littlebobbytables )

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9

If you inspect the page and goto those fields you'll see the name of those fields. We use the name as one of the ways of filling things back into the page. A3 and A4 are the respective names of the username and password fields.

If it were this easy of a fix for the others we would've provided that as an option to you I think. I suspect the other sites you're having problems with are different.

This discussion has been closed.