Two vaults after switching to 1password account - puzzled

I recently switched from a local vault which I had since 1P4 beta to 1Password account with 1P7. I deliberately chose a different master password for the new vault. On the laptop, where I performed the initial steps of the conversion the password from the new vault works. On the desktop I still have to use the old one. It shows that I am using the Personal vault on both PCs.
Another thing which I do not understand: Is the Dropbox still supposed to be used if I use the account? I see that files are being synced.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @mzel! I'm stoked to hear you're giving a 1Password account a go. Am I correct in understand you were using 1Password 7 already at the time you made that switch? Your Dropbox vault won't be needed anymore with your account, but 1Password 7 for Windows handles app Master Passwords a bit awkwardly at times. It's something we're working on improving and I do feel like local vaults can exacerbate this somewhat. It sounds like your apps both have your account signed in and only display the proper vault with the proper data, but your desktop is still using the old Master Password from your local vault – am I on the right track here? If so, did you sign in to your account on the desktop with the local vault still active, then remove it after? Both of these answers will help me prove my theory and, if I'm right, I'll have an explanation and a fix ready for you. :chuffed:

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member

The answer to the first question is "yes", and to the second - "no". I do not remember whether I explicitly signed in to the account on the desktop, probably yes, but I have not deleted the old local vault anywhere. I have it in 3 places: on the desktop, the laptop, and the cellphone.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@mzel: Thank you for your reply!

The thing is that in order to unlock 1Password app you are using the Master Password from the very first vault you've added to the app. If you still have your old local vault in the apps, you will use the Master Password for this vault to unlock the app.

If you can sign in to your account on 1Password.com in the browser and have all of your data there, you can start over with 1Password apps on your devices and sign in to your account anew. This way you will use the Master Password from your 1Password account to unlock the apps.

If you have any concerns about your current setup, please share Diagnostics Reports from your devices and we will take a look. Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the reports on our side.

Cheers,
    Greg

• mzel
    mzel
    Community Member

Thanks, that worked

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@mzel: Great news! I am glad to hear that it worked.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future, we are always here for you. :)

Have a great week!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.