1Password quit unexpectedly on Windows 10 using V7

Options

I have a Windows Surface Pro running Windows 10. I downloaded 1Password for Windows as of today (Version 7) and every time I try to start 1Password it says 1Password quite unexpectedly. I've completely removed 1Password from my system (including the Chrome extension) and started from scratch several times. That does not resolve this.

Also, my default browser is Chrome. I don't use MS Edge. I'm providing some screen shows of details for this as well. Please help!
Todd

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: n/a uninstalled
OS Version: Windows 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Sync Type: I have family account
Referrer: forum-search:1Password quit unexpectedly

Comments

• todd.d
    todd.d
    Community Member
    Options

I should have also mentioned that 1Password consistently quits unexpectedly. I cannot run it even once.

• @todd.d: To clarify, does 1Password crash as soon as you launch it or does it crash when you unlock it? I see you've got a lock screen in the background, which makes me think it's the latter, but better to be sure. Thanks! :chuffed:

• todd.d
    todd.d
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate, I can launch 1Password and get the dialog shown in my screen print above. 1Password closes immediately after I enter my password and press the enter key. Thanks.
    Todd

• In that case, @todd.d, I believe I know just what will fix you up. In most cases of this I've seen, folks have signed out of their last account recently, but I can think up a few other reasons the same issue might pop up. If you recall what you did immediately before this started happening, I'd appreciate hearing about it so we can make sure we test all possible paths here when we get a fix ready, but regardless here's how to fix it:

1. Reset your Windows app.
    2. Launch 1Password again.
    3. Sign in fresh.

Note this will require the full gamut of sign-in credentials – e-mail, sign-in address, Secret Key and Master Password – so make sure you've got those handy. Once you've signed in fresh, lock and unlock 1Password, reboot and unlock, do whatever testing you want to feel comfortable it's fixed up and let me know if that gets things working for you. :chuffed:

• todd.d
    todd.d
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate, I tried your directions verbatim and my issue still existed. I made sure the data folder was renamed just as the link you provided indicated. However, I completely deleted the 1password folder in the appdata/local, uninstalled 1Password completely, then reinstalled from scratch and now it's working.

I think what instigated this mess was that I borrowed my son's Surface pro for a few days. I used the app and chose the option to sign him out. I then signed in with my master account. All was well until I was ready to give the laptop back to him. I think the sequence as that I then signed out of my account and attempted to sign him in. Then it started having issues. Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Todd

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @todd.d,

Thank you for keeping us posted! I am glad to hear that starting from scratch helped. There might be several different reasons for crashes in 1Password, so we need to investigate. We will try to reproduce this crash using the info you shared and fix this behaviour, if it is incorrect.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know. We are always here for you. :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.