1Password Ridiculousness

Guys,
I have used 1Password forever. I waited patiently for years for the Edge Extension that never came, only to be told that we can't make it work blah, blah, blah. I have been lumbering through in the not 21st century as one of the staff members referred to it as using Internet Explorer due to lack of Edge support for 1Password. I finally broke down tonight and signed up for the free trial of the subscription model that I have been against forever but really wanted it to finally work with Edge for a change so I can use a newer browser. I do this only to find that the new version of the app does not support Internet Explorer now. Come on guys, I need an app that supports 100% of the major browsers, not 75%. You guys keep saying that Microsoft has abandoned support for Internet Explorer and that simply is not true and even if it were, we all know that Microsoft flip flops on that support policy anyway. But your statement is just not true.

As Microsoft states
Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system receives technical support and security updates, as shown in the following table:
 Windows Desktop Operating Systems
 Internet Explorer Version
 Windows Vista SP2 *
 Internet Explorer 9
 Windows 7 SP1
 Internet Explorer 11
 Windows 8.1 Update
 Internet Explorer 11
 Windows 10**
 Internet Explorer 11
**Windows 10 features Microsoft Edge, a faster, more productive way to browse the web. Microsoft recommends using Microsoft Edge as your default browser and supports Internet Explorer 11 for backward compatibility. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17454/lifecycle-faq-internet-explorer

As can also be found from Microsoft in regards to the lifecycle policy of Windows 8.1 even, it is supported through 1/10/2023
Products Released
Lifecycle Start Date
Mainstream Support End Date
Extended Support End Date
Service Pack Support End Date
Notes
Windows 8.1 Pro
11/13/2013
1/9/2018
1/10/2023

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows 8.1 Pro

And I see nowhere that says that I can use the old version and the new version with one db, or without having to duct tape something together to go open the app and then copy and paste manually. That kind of defeats the purpose of having one cross browser, cross platform solution. You have told me for years to do the copy paste method with the "old" product, now you are telling people to do it with the new product too?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jshepler: Microsoft is no longer developing Internet Explorer, in favour of Edge, and that's what we're doing as well. Internet Explorer has not had majority browser market share for years, and will continue to dwindle even further. We have no plans to develop, test, and support browsers no longer under active development, whether that be Internet Explorer or the many others that have been discontinued over the course of 1Password's history. Supported browsers are:

Safari (macOS only)
    Edge (Windows only)
    Firefox
    Chrome
    Vivaldi
    Opera
    Brave

All of those are well-maintained, modern, full-featured browsers with a future. It is unlikely that this list will be expanded any time soon, but if we do it will be with browsers which are being actively developed. I'm sorry this isn't the answer you're hoping for, but if we'd worked on building a new binary add-on for IE we would not be able to support Edge, Native Messaging, or Web Extensions in general. We have to focus our efforts on the future, not the past. :(

This discussion has been closed.