Cannot find folder sync [It is only usable for standalone vaults, not 1Password.com accounts]

Options
bitbonk
bitbonk
Community Member
edited September 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

This documentation states that there should be a folder sync option on Windows. But I can't find it. Where is it? I want to have a local copy of all of my vaults on my machine that is alaways up to date.

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @bitbonk,

Thanks for writing in.

In your post, you said you're using 1Password.com. Your 1Password.com data is already backed up on our service, that's one of the core benefits of using 1Password.com membership, you never have to worry about syncing or backing up your 1Password data. With 1Password.com, we also support Item History, you can check it out here: https://support.1password.com/item-history/

1Password.com is a separate product from standalone vaults, which is what Folder Sync is for. Standalone vaults and Folder Sync cannot be used with 1Password accounts, they're different data structures. The idea with 1Password.com is that if your local drive fails, you can easily access your 1Password data on 1Password.com website or another device to quickly sync.

We would like to consider adding the ability to export an archive version of your 1Password.com data but it's far down the line and we don't have a timeframe on when of if it is coming.

• bitbonk
    bitbonk
    Community Member
    Options

I want to be able to have a backup in case 1password.com ist down or I have no internet. The latter happens quite frequently for longer periods of times throughout the year. So I want to have a backup on a physical drives locally. How would I achieve this?

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @bitbonk,

It already does that, your 1Password data is never decrypted in the cloud. All of your 1Password data is downloaded to your disk in an encrypted form (except Documents' attachments) before you can unlock it.

1Password does not need internet access, it will work fine offline.

It is stored in the following directory: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data

• bitbonk
    bitbonk
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

If I copy it from there onto an USB stick, I would have a full local backup that I could copy back to %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data whenever I want and I'd have a full restore?

Where is that folder on MacOS?

• Hi @bitbonk,

It is not a backup, it's the local 1Password program's database and it is limited to 1Password for Windows, you cannot restore it on any other platforms. You can restore the data folder like that to bring 1Password back to that state of when you copied it without the internet access.

You can only use this as an emergency recovery method when you're not online. Keep in mind that when you restore this data folder and you're connected to the internet, your 1Password account will immediately update or overwrite changes to your local database, which is why this cannot be used as a backup method.

As for macOS, it depends on which version you're using. For the latest 1Password 7 for macOS, it is ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data.

This discussion has been closed.