1Password 7 unresponsive for several moments after unlocking

Options

Hi,
I'm experiencing some major problems with 1Password 7 under Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I'm able to unlock the app via right-click on the taskbar icon or with the browser extension icon, but after opening it takes several moments for the app to become responsive. The 1Password interface is there, showing Logins, Software Licenses, Categories, etc, on the left/middle of the app (if you view the app interface in three sections), but clicking on any of the left and middle selections does not change the right pane to the expected corresponding information. The right side of the app remains blank until 1PW 7 does become responsive moments later, at which time clicking on the left/middle selections shows the correct data on the right side.. I've tried uninstalling 1PW and reinstalling without success. It exhibits the same unresponsive behavior. It happens with Firefox and Chrome browsers. I've noticed 1PW app is using around 180MB memory (in task manager) and during the time 1PW is unresponsive there is heavy disk activity that seems to be related to the app, also. Please help. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Firefox/Chrome 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / ver. 1803, build 17134.254
Sync Type: local disk / 1Password.opvault

Comments

• Marok
    Marok
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Anytime 1Password is supposed to perform some kind of "action" through my browser, such as popping up the mini interface, filling login details, etc, 99% of the time it gets stuck and the only way to get it to continue is to right-click the tray icon.

Essentially, my usage of 1Password is: Click extension icon -> Right click tray icon -> Click login details > Right click tray icon, and then it fills.

I've tried reinstalling Chrome, the extension, 1Password itself. Actually, last week I had to completely reinstall Windows (clean install) due to an unrelated issue, and 1Password still does the exact same thing before and after I reinstalled Windows.

Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: Windows 10
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @Marok,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

When you say stuck, what do you mean exactly? Is it hanging like it is not responding or you see 1Password mini and it doesn't react to anything?

Is it better if you open the main 1Password program first, unlock, wait one or two minutes and then switch to your browser, does 1Password mini work better?

• Marok
    Marok
    Community Member
    Options

By stuck I mean nothing happens. So for example, I'll click the 1Password extension button, and nothing happens. Clicking the tray icon pops up the mini interface.

• Hi @Marok,

Ok, so 1Password mini doesn't show up when you click on the icon. Right-clicking or clicking the 1Password system tray icon is a separate function.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Marok
    Marok
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I should have been more clear.
    I know that clicking the system tray icon is a separate function, but it's the only way to get 1Password to "continue" what it was doing. Anytime 1Password mini should show up (clicking the extension icon, trying to fill login details, etc), it doesn't right away, and in order to "force" it to show up/continue I can click the tray icon.

I've sent the diagnostic report.

• bhusari
    bhusari
    Community Member
    Options

I guess the issue you are reporting is the Lag issue with chrome extension. I am having the same problem. When I click on the 1Password extension in chrome, I have to wait for 20-30 seconds or more in some cases (certainly for the first time after a reboot or browser restart). After the first click, it sometimes responds quickly (almost instant), and sometimes same time lag continues.

Initially, even I thought it is hanging or nothing is happening on clicking, but eventually noticed that after a time lag, 1 password responds (provided no other browser action is performed during the time lag period). You may want to try and see if this is what is happening with you as well.

• Hi guys,

@marok, We got your email but it didn't include a diagnostics report, could you try again?

ref: ZTT-51627-926

@bhusari, thanks, I've suggested that in the first reply above. It may be something else but we are working hard on fixing that delay/threading issue for the next update. The lag will reappear every time there's a sync in the background, so every unlock triggers a sync and that incurs the lag.

• Marok
    Marok
    Community Member
    Options

Whoops, attached the report this time.

Yeah, looks like if I open the main 1Password first, it does fix most of the lag. There's still a little bit of lag sometimes, but not the huge delay I was getting before. It seems as though if I never open the main program, and I just trigger an unlock via mini 1Password, the lag remains, even though plenty of time has passed for the sync to finish. I can't 100% confirm that part is consistent though.

• We should be able to confirm that with the diagnostics report, which we did just get. I'll review it and let you know in the reply to your email.

• Etic
    Etic
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, each time I unlock 1Password (app + mini) it does show the unlocked window but it is not responding for about 10-15 seconds when I click search or when I select an item. The window is still responding, but the result of the action is not.

I can close it (for example the mini in Chrome) and nothing will show if I try to open it again it. After the 10-15 seconds the mini window will appear but somewhere else in my screen (where my cursor is located, as it seems).

Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10 1803 (17134.228)
    Sync Type: Dropbox + 1Password Cloud

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same problem.

• Hi guys,

We're still working on the fix, there are more unexpected changes we had to make it more responsive. We don't have a timeframe but we're getting close, we're nearing the end right now. I'll update as soon as we have a beta build ready.

@Etic, I've merged your post into the thread you mentioned.

When 1Password is blocked due to the background sync (which starts after you unlock), it won't refresh the UI until the sync is done. 1Password mini is supposed to show up next to your cursor but because of this delayed reaction, it shows up elsewhere when you moved your mouse waiting for it to show up.

• If you cannot tolerate the 10-30 seconds wait after unlock, try uninstalling 1Password 7.2 and install 1Password 7.1 instead from here.

You'll want to turn off automatic update for now until we make 1Password 7.3 available.

• Etic
    Etic
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT, thanks for the link and follow-up, I will test 7.1 and maybe keep it until it is resolved.

I understand it is complicated and I'm okay to wait ;)

Just to let you know, the problem occurs also directly in the app, not just in the mini.

• atomic_punk
    atomic_punk
    Community Member
    Options

As an experiment I unlocked 1PW in Firefox and noted the time it took to fill in the login details. it took five minutes for the account selection box to suddenly pop up after clicking the browser extension icon to fill in the website login data. This isn't a minor fifteen to thirty second waiting issue in my case. I've been a customer of Agilebits since 1PW version one and this is the first time I've had such severe problems with using what has normally been a dependable program/app. I'm a bit surprised that no one from 1PW responded to my post here or in email, or especially why I was not asked for my 1PW app diagnostic report.which may prove helpful, Has the problem been resolved and a fix issued?

The delay I described also appears after clicking the save button within the app, it hangs there in suspended animation until it suddenly comes back to life and becomes responsive with the edit button where it should be. I concur with others, it seems it's something broken within the app or how the new vault format works with the app, I'm not sure.

• atomic_punk
    atomic_punk
    Community Member
    Options

I went back to 1PW 7..1.567. Will not update until the delay bug is fixed.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @atomic_punk,

I am sorry for this experience! We are planning to address this performance issue in the upcoming 7.3 update.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this situation. Again, I am really sorry about this.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.