'Show 1password mini' shortcut' (Ctrl+Alt+\) doesn't always work

Hi there! I'm having a bit of trouble with the keyboard shortcut to open 1password Mini (Ctrl+Alt+). Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't (ie. nothing happens and I have to open 1PM from the system tray icon). My feeling is that it seems to stop working sometimes after my PC reawakens (it's usually fine if I'm unlocking for the first time after a full boot), but I'm having trouble isolating the circumstances in which it fails.

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: 1P for Edge 7.2.575
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Family
Referrer: forum-search:shortcut

Comments

• Hi @rensa,

Thanks for reporting this.

When you do open the main 1Password app from the system tray, does the shortcut starts working normally after that?

Are you using the English US locale for your keyboard?

Is this a laptop or desktop you're using? Laptop has different power settings when sleeping, like hibernation that could be a factor.

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

Hi @MikeT,

Haha, I banged out a long post and then realised that locale is the problem. Specifically, the Windows+Space shortcut.

I have my country set as Australia and my display language set as English (Australia), with US as the associated keyboard. But no matter how much I delete English (UK) as an alternate preferred language, it keeps coming back. And so if I accidentally hit Windows+Space (not uncommon, coming from a Mac where I used it to launch Spotlight), it switches the keyboard to English UK. And that's what's stopping the 1P Mini shortcut from working.

If I'm coding, I pick up on the switch pretty quickly, because English UK moves useful stuff like quotes and hashes around. But if I'm not coding, I might not notice at all.

I guess the short-term problem is, is it possible to get 1Password Mini to recognise the shortcut even when I'm inadvertently in English UK? The longer-term one (although this is obviously Microsoft's problem, not yours) is, can I stop Windows from re-adding English UK or disable the Windows+Space shortcut?

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

FWIW, Windows certainly doesn't seem to be able to make up its mind about my language settings:

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

Hmmm, I might be wrong about this—I just had an instance where I verified that I was on US English and the 1Password Mini shortcut wouldn't work, even if I opened and closed it via the system tray. I had to kill 1Password and restart it in order for the shortcut to work.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

Hi @rensa,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Control + Alt + \ keys are on the same locations on both keyboard locales, right? If yes, then it shouldn't behave differently, Windows will map the characters automatically.

Is your Windows PC set up to sync your computer settings using your MS account? I've had to disable the sync because it kept syncing or restoring wrong things between my computers. If yes, I'd suggest disabling the sync for everything, reboot, and see if that stops the keyboard from being re-added. It would be nice to fix this before we try to figure this out if it is an issue within 1Password.

If not, the suggestions here might help: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-keeps-automatically-adding-en-us-keyboard/69aaea0d-f588-4d54-89fa-a632ae7bced3?auth=1

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike! I'll do some experimenting over the weekend and report back.

• Good luck!

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

Hi Mike, sorry for the delay here. I've had syncing turned off for a couple of weeks, and I'm continuing to have problems with the shortcut. It does certainly seem that sleep/hibernation could be a factor here, but if it is, it's fairly intermittent.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rensa,

Thank you for keeping us posted! I am sorry to hear you still have issues.

Are you able to reproduce this issue consistently? Please confirm.

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

Unfortunately not, Greg. If I quit and restart 1Password manually, or if I restart Windows, 1Password Mini works fine. But sometimes I return to my computer after it's been sleeping or hibernating and it's working, and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it'll start working again when I return to my computer when it wasn't working before (without intervention on my part).

The only other thing I've noticed is that when the 1Password Mini keyboard shortcut doesn't work, I also can't open it by clicking on the Edge extension icon. That icon simply doesn't work (although the system try icon does).

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

Ooooooh, hang on. This could be an issue with the extension: I just clicked on the system tray, dismissed 1PM and still couldn't open it with the shortcut. But if I'm not focused on Edge (eg. I click on the Desktop, or on Sticky Notes or another app), the keyboard shortcut starts working. Focus back on Edge, keyboard shortcut doesn't work.

I wonder if Edge is intercepting the shortcut? AFAIK Edge doesn't yet support the commands API for browser extensions, but maybe that shortcut is mapped to something else in Edge?

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I'm also able to use the shortcut if I'm focused on an InPrivate Edge window and there are no other Edge windows open (if I'm focused on an InPrivate window but there's another Edge window open in the background, it doesn't work).

It's worth noting that the 1P Extension doesn't appear to be available to InPrivate windows (the icon isn't present next to the address bar and isn't in the overflow menu). I wonder if it being loaded by Edge and Edge having focus means that it's intercepting the shortcut and not handling it properly?

• Hi @rensa,

Are you on any sites when this doesn't work? I've noticed if you're on the empty tab, it doesn't work but if you open a site, it does. This may be a bug but I can't reproduce it in other browsers.

It's worth noting that the 1P Extension doesn't appear to be available to InPrivate windows

By defaults, all Edge extensions will not be enabled in InPrivate windows. You can change this if you go to the settings for the extensions:

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Hi @MikeT,

No, this doesn't appear to be limited to the New Tab page for me. For example, I just got into the office and opened up laptop (it appeared to start from hibernation, going by the white-on-black Microsoft logo appearing before login).

The 1PM shortcut worked when I tested it first thing (no apps open), but as soon as I opened Edge, it stopped working, even when I navigated to sites. Right now I have two tabs open—RStudio Community and this thread—and the shortcut does not work unless I take the focus off Edge (eg. by clicking on the taskbar).

Re. InPrivate, I can confirm that I don't have 'Allow for InPrivate browsing' enabled.

• Hi @rensa,

I can't reproduce it on both sites.

Can you try something else; open the main 1Password app and go to the Help Menu > Troubleshooting > Show Console. Bring it next to Edge, so you can see real-time log as you reproduce the issue. Now, try the shortcut, do you see any messages coming up? If yes, copy and paste it in here for us.

Thanks!

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

No worries :) When I successfully use the shortcut, the console prints:

INF:15836  │ 1Password::api:1790            │ 48862251ms │ Ctrl+Alt+\ is used to show mini window.

If I try (unsuccessfully) to use the shortcut from Edge, the console prints:

INF:15836  │ 1Password::api:1790            │ 48944172ms │ Ctrl+Alt+\ is used to fill in Microsoft Edge browser.
    INF:15836  │ 1Password::api:1790            │ 48944173ms │ Microsoft Edge: <- getActiveURL.

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

I've also occasionally managed to get the shortcut to work with Edge open, and the console in that case logged:

INF:23084  │ 1Password::api:1790            │  5769174ms │ Ctrl+Alt+\ is used to fill in Microsoft Edge browser.
    INF:23084  │ 1Password::api:1790            │  5769175ms │ Microsoft Edge: <- getActiveURL.
    INF:23132  │ 1Password::api:1790            │  5769181ms │ Microsoft Edge: -> activeURL

• Hi @rensa,

That's very odd indeed. 1Password is getting mixed signals, it is treating Control + Alt + \ as Control + \.

We're going to look into it, it may be a bug in the middleman app we use to let 1Password in Edge connect to the desktop program.

• rensa
    rensa
    Community Member

No worries Mike, thanks for looking into it—and thanks for being patient as I tried to replicate it! Knowing that it doesn't happen when I'm not focused on Edge makes the bug much easier to deal with. Let me know if I can provide any more info!

• @rensa: On behalf of Mike, you're most welcome. Thanks for your help and patience reproducing the problem and tracking down potential causes. Much appreciated. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.