Unfiled Smart Folder not working in 3.8.10

I followed the instructions for creating an Unfiled smart folder. It seemed to go ok at first, though I thought I had detected some oddities. So I tried "Edit Smart Folder", but that did not appear to do anything, did not produce a window to change the criteria which is what I would have expected.

I then thought I should try deleting the smart folder and recreating it. But this seems to have had the effect of removing all the items from my existing folders, they are now completely empty. The passwords are all there (in All, and also in Unfiled as the others are empty). But it is inconvenient for me not to have the passwords in their old folders, and moving them one by one is a hassle. What would you suggest?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Later. I decided I could safely restore from backup, as only one entry had been changed since that backup and I could just re-enter the password for that item.

The result is the following. I have an Unfiled folder. If I search All for amaon.com, only one entry shows up, which seems reasonable. However amazon.com shows up in my Purchasing folder (an ordinary folder) and also in the Unfiled smart folder, which it should not as it is already in a folder.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Can you post a screenshot of your search criteria? I think there may be something fishy going on, but I want to make sure your Smart Folder is set up correctly.

As described in our support article for creating an "Unfiled" Smart Folder, here is what I am using:

20111126-rcag1p14tbeic9schjs6wqy3t8.png
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    I tried again, first deleting the Unfiled folder and then recreating it. Once again, I found all my other folders became empty.

Here's what I used to create the folder. Seems to be the same s yours, except for a slightly different layout, perhaps from a different version of 1PW.

I am not sure how to include the screen shot as an image, so it may be an attachment.
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Later.

I've upgraded 1PW to 3.8.10 and rebuilt the data file. I've also kept the Unfiled folder and created a new smart folder with the same criteria as before.

Currently my old folders are fine. But both the old and the new smart folders are showing items that live in the other folders.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey danco,

We were able to duplicate this in the labs and will work to restore the functionality in an update. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    OK, I'll live with it.
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    There's evidently more strangeness going on.

Because I have now deleted the Unfiled folders (since they currently don't work) and, even after rebuilding the data file, all my other folders are currently empty.

As you are looking at the issue, this is just a bit more data for you.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the additional information. There is definitely something fishy going on, but we're on top of it! :D
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you know if the content of my folders is completely lost due to this problem, or if it is there but not currently accessible?

Because if it's just not reachable at present, I can wait till the problem is solved. But if the contents are gone, then I may as well proceed to re-create them, but perhaps using tags rather than folders.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    Since any Smart Folder is only a dynamically generated representation of items in your data file, the "content" will always be there. The items aren't gone, just that particular view of them. Once it is restored it will be business as usual. :)

In fact, this is fixed in the latest beta version. Could you please try the new Beta release (3.8.12.BETA-4) and see if it fixes this problem? You can do this by going to the 1Password > Preferences window, selecting the Update pane, enable the "Include Beta versions" checkbox, and then click Check Now. Once the update is installed, try again and see if it helps.
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Can I revert to the stable version after trying the betas?

I'm happy to do this, but in fact have taken time over the past few days to change to tags, which are more flexible.

One thing I noticed is that, although generated passwords do not have tas, it is possible to move a generated password from the untagged folder to a tag, which seems odd.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Can I revert to the stable version after trying the betas?

Sure. :)

http://agilebits.com/downloads

I'm happy to do this, but in fact have taken time over the past few days to change to tags, which are more flexible.

Whatever blows your hair back. :lol:

One thing I noticed is that, although generated passwords do not have tas, it is possible to move a generated password from the untagged folder to a tag, which seems odd.

Maybe it's just because I am up past my bedtime, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are there some steps I can take to reproduce what you describe? (Please test in the latest beta to be sure we are on the same page. The issue may not exist in the current code.)
  • danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Just tried the latest beta, but my folders are still empty.

As for the tags (yes, when one person is in the Uk and the other is across the Atlantic, waking hours can be an issue), what I mean is this.

Take a generated password. It will live in Untagged. Move it to one of the tags. It will move, and now lives in this tag and not in Untagged.

You might say that this is what I should expect, since I made the move. My view is that since generated passwords (unlike logins) can never actually be given a tag when one looks at the item then they should always live in Untagged and should not be movable to another tag.

I only ran into this because I was moving several items at once, and a generated password was among the others that I did want to tag.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Just tried the latest beta, but my folders are still empty.

Did you try deleting the Smart Folder and then recreating it? I can't reproduce the problem in 3.8.13.BETA-1 (though I could before). :S

20111126-rcag1p14tbeic9schjs6wqy3t8.png

I see what the confusion is about the tags. Thanks for pointing that out. The problem is that even though the Generated Password item details do not provide a UI for tags, the items can, in fact, be tagged. We need to either add this to the Generated Password details or properly enforce their absence elsewhere. I'll pass this along to the devs.
This discussion has been closed.